May 27, 2010, 10:38 AM EDT
Everybody has been talking a lot about the future of Phil Jackson, save for the couple people at the center of the debate.
At each and every press conference, Jackson dances around the questions, revealing little. Well, except that he is going to wait until the season is over to decide, that he will have to take a pay cut if he stays, there’s a 90 percent chance he stays or retires, and he has no interest in coaching in Chicago. But we love to speculate, so that is not enough.
But what about Jerry Buss. The guy that signs the massive checks to Jackson.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger was surprised to find Buss on his flight from Phoenix back to Los Angeles for Game 5. Berger approached Buss and said he’d be derelict in his duties if he didn’t ask Buss about Jackson.
“We’d both be derelict if I answered that question,” Buss said. “I’m not going to talk about it because I don’t want any distractions for the team.”
Buss as said he would talk to Jackson after the season. Jackson has said that is when he will make his decision. We could let things work out on the timeline they always do with these two.
But what fun is that?
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 19
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 9
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64