Kendrick Perkins second technical rescinded by league, he will play in Game 6

May 27, 2010, 12:57 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for Perkins_techs.jpgKendrick Perkins gets to play another day. The league has rescinded Ed Rush’s technical foul called on Perkins late in the second quarter of Game 5.

This means Perkins can play in Game 6 in Boston Friday night. However, if he picks up one more technical foul during the playoffs he will be suspended for the following game.

No explanation of the decision has yet been issued by the league.

Perkins had already picked up a technical foul as part of a double technical issued earlier in the game after some fairly innocent after-the-play jostling between him and Martin Gortat (Perkins was trying to help up a fallen Paul Pierce, his hand slipped off and Gortat got a little elbow). That was questionable.

Then late in the second quarter Perkins got called for a foul and did what he always does — complained loudly about the call. But he did it walking away from the referee and the play, just venting his frustration. Pretty much normal playoff stuff.

And he was T’d up again. That’s two and he was ejected from the game. How much that hurt the Celtics is debatable — Perkins is their best low-post defender but his absence meant more minutes for Rasheed Wallace, who was playing better than Perkins. However, Sheed fouled out, Glenn Davis got a concussion and Doc Rivers could have used another big body.

Because this was Perkins’ seventh technical or flagrant foul of the playoffs, he was to be suspended for the next game — which would have been the crucial Game 6.

The league has balanced those scales, but Perkins remains one technical away from a suspension.

In other news, a hard foul by Paul Pierce in the first quarter was upgraded by the league to a flagrant one.

1. RUSS - May 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I totally agree with you. Howard is the dirtiest player in the NBA. He knows exactly what he is doing, and he makes it look like an accident. How is it that all the Celtics starters have been hacked to the ground by Howard’s elbows and forearms. But he NBA referees will look the other way, since they are part of the problem. As long as they are not calling fouls, Howard will continue his crap. Each time he goes up in the air, he comes down with full force to an opposing player’s back, shoulders, head, neck, or wherever.

2. NBA refs suck - May 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM

It is too obvious that these NBA referees are controlling games. They know exactly what they are doing when they put all the Celtics starters in foul trouble in the 1st quarter. This series should have been over in game 4. But now the referees have been trying to extend the series. It is sickening to watch when they are calling so many phantom calls against the Celtics, and they overlook all the junk the Magic are doing. Horrible!

3. Anonymous - May 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM

He know’s exactly what he is doing. But it’s only as I watched these last couple of games, that I realized how adept he is. If you’ve ever trained for this stuff, it jumps out of the TV screen plain as day. He’s got great floor presence, coordination, and athleticism, so is it any wonder that when he’s “falling” backward – he gets a claw to the eyes? A scratch to the cornea will take a guy out. Or a one armed “off balance” rebound – so his other forearm has to land on the base of the other guys neck? Or a “hard foul” pull down – where the leverage and angle on the arm are just right to bend it backwards and dislocate the shoulder? Or, fighting through a high pick – with an accidental knee to the kidney?
    I can hear it now…”Dwight, Gundy here. Listen big fella, desparate times call for desparate measures, know what I mean?” “Sure coach, I can take them out of the game.” “I don’t want them out of the game, I want them out of the entire series!” “Roger that.”

4. Anonymous - May 28, 2010 at 12:29 AM

HYSTERICAL!!!! word:)

5. G0v - May 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM

HA HA HA HA .. ROTFL ..

6. Pat Gray, Cavendish, Vermont - May 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM

NBA refs are darn good and I like them taking the technical away. Perkins is a good man. He’s a lot better than that darn Kevin Youkilis. We need him and Franconia outta Boston.

7. justafan - May 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM

All the “conspiracy theories” out there about Howard… Has anyone taken into consideration HOW BIG THE MAN IS!! when he is fighting for a rebound, he is not about to LET UP just to make sure people around him don’t get hurt, I see elbows thrown all the time by all players – for those Celtic fans, I have seen Garnett throw his share, forceful rebounds are part of the game, he just happens to be a powerful man with a lot of strength – so to think he is taking people out with the precision you think he is, is just as rediculous as people thinking the refs are in a conspiracy – just face it, they make terrible calls, I don’t think they do it on purpose, they just miss calls, they anticipate fouls, they react to motion on the floor while looking another direction and call what they “think” happened etc… – and yes I do think they need replay, and maybe some new refs out there, ones that aren’t intimidated by the “star players”. I will say the officiating seems to be worse this year than most recent years, and I’m not talking one way or another, it has been less than stellar all the way around. While I’m on it, time for Stern to leave also, he is just a little too controlling, kind of like being in that abusive relationship – he won’t let us out of it and NO ONE WILL LISTEN! Although it was a terrible call and Perkins should not have recieved that technical, it is part of the game – if they are going to take back that T – then why stop there, review every foul – every technical – and take back every bad one, point being that if you are not going to use replay – DON’T USE REPLAY, go with the human error that you have allowed to control the game. Taking back technicals and issuing upgraded fouls after the fact does nothing for the game that has already passed, means little to the team that lost.

8. IndieVote - May 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM

justafan, I’m totally with you on everything you said EXCEPT your assertion that the refs (in concert with the league) aren’t conspiring to manipulate the outcomes of individual games. I don’t believe they do it for EVERY game, but when a team that is dominating a playoff series suddenly sees its best players getting in early foul trouble while the other team is not getting called for anything, you can’t possibly believe that’s purely a matter of the refs making “terrible” calls. The Lakers had less than half the foul shot opportunities of the Suns in games three and four. In game three, the Lakers had more field goals, more three pointers, more rebounds and fewer turnovers. They also had 22 fewer foul shots and still only lost by 9. It’s just not reasonable to believe, especially with the physicality of the game today, that only one team is committing fouls. And trust me, I’ve seen plenty of other teams getting hosed whey they’re playing the Lakers. I’m not just some homer fan whining about the refs because I think my team got shafted. I’m certainly no Celtics fan, but the refs have obviously taken it upon themselves to lengthen that series. And the fact that they “rescinded” a foul that would have led to the suspension of the only guy who has been effective at defending Howard just makes it more obvious that they DON’T want the Magic in the finals. That’s my opinion, anyway.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches