May 27, 2010, 12:57 PM EDT
Kendrick Perkins gets to play another day. The league has rescinded Ed Rush’s technical foul called on Perkins late in the second quarter of Game 5.
This means Perkins can play in Game 6 in Boston Friday night. However, if he picks up one more technical foul during the playoffs he will be suspended for the following game.
No explanation of the decision has yet been issued by the league.
Perkins had already picked up a technical foul as part of a double technical issued earlier in the game after some fairly innocent after-the-play jostling between him and Martin Gortat (Perkins was trying to help up a fallen Paul Pierce, his hand slipped off and Gortat got a little elbow). That was questionable.
Then late in the second quarter Perkins got called for a foul and did what he always does — complained loudly about the call. But he did it walking away from the referee and the play, just venting his frustration. Pretty much normal playoff stuff.
And he was T’d up again. That’s two and he was ejected from the game. How much that hurt the Celtics is debatable — Perkins is their best low-post defender but his absence meant more minutes for Rasheed Wallace, who was playing better than Perkins. However, Sheed fouled out, Glenn Davis got a concussion and Doc Rivers could have used another big body.
Because this was Perkins’ seventh technical or flagrant foul of the playoffs, he was to be suspended for the next game — which would have been the crucial Game 6.
The league has balanced those scales, but Perkins remains one technical away from a suspension.
In other news, a hard foul by Paul Pierce in the first quarter was upgraded by the league to a flagrant one.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6