May 27, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
Well, at least somebody still likes Zach Randolph. For now.
The day after word came out that Z-Bo has been implicated as a major marijuana supplier to the Indianapolis area, and just hours after word came out from Los Angeles that Z-Bo’s posse (at least) were involved in beating up a man at a strip club, the Grizzlies General Manager Chris Wallace said nice things about the man in an official statement.
“Since Zach Randolph became a member of this organization, he has been an active member of the Memphis community and embraced our core values of hard work and leadership. These qualities helped him develop into an NBA All-Star this season and guided one of the NBA’s youngest teams to a 16-game improvement.
“Zach’s continued commitment to the team has been evident the last couple of weeks as he’s been working out with members of our staff on the West Coast.
“Due to the ongoing police investigation, we do not feel it would be appropriate to comment further. Unless some other information surfaces, Zach remains a valued member of the Grizzlies family and Memphis community.”
Randolph’s attorney has told ESPN that Randolph’s long-time friend watches that home and car and Randolph himself had nothing to do with any drug activity.
It was what you’d expect the Grizzlies to say this early in both investigations, but notice the wiggle room of “unless some other information surfaces.”
If the news out of these investigations gets worse for Randolph, you can bet the tone of the next release will be different.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48