May 27, 2010, 5:50 PM EST
The Bucks’ successful season was sure to raise the individual stock of a number of the principals involved (Think John Salmons earned himself a few bucks in free agency with his tear?), and assistant coach Kelvin Sampson appears to be the first to reap the benefits.
Not only do the Cavs seem to have legitimate interest in Sampson because of his success, approach, and Spurs ties (in fact, he may be pretty high up on Danny Ferry’s list), but Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reported that the Clippers may also have interest in Sampson as well, but for a connection of a different kind: one to former Oklahoma standout Blake Griffin.
Sampson was the head coach at Oklahoma from 1994-2006, which just preceded Griffin’s arrival. Still, it makes sense for the two to have a relationship considering that Blake’s brother Taylor also attended Oklahoma (where he played directly under Sampson), and Sampson no doubt helped to recruit Blake prior to his departure from the program.
Whether or not Sampson’s relationship with Griffin will give him the leg up on the Clippers’ job (or whether or not the nature of that relationship will entice Sampson should there be a competition for his services) is yet to be determined, but there’s something there, apparently. The obvious connections are minor at best, but the Clippers reportedly think enough of the connection to pursue it.
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 0
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3