May 27, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Bucks’ successful season was sure to raise the individual stock of a number of the principals involved (Think John Salmons earned himself a few bucks in free agency with his tear?), and assistant coach Kelvin Sampson appears to be the first to reap the benefits.
Not only do the Cavs seem to have legitimate interest in Sampson because of his success, approach, and Spurs ties (in fact, he may be pretty high up on Danny Ferry’s list), but Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reported that the Clippers may also have interest in Sampson as well, but for a connection of a different kind: one to former Oklahoma standout Blake Griffin.
Sampson was the head coach at Oklahoma from 1994-2006, which just preceded Griffin’s arrival. Still, it makes sense for the two to have a relationship considering that Blake’s brother Taylor also attended Oklahoma (where he played directly under Sampson), and Sampson no doubt helped to recruit Blake prior to his departure from the program.
Whether or not Sampson’s relationship with Griffin will give him the leg up on the Clippers’ job (or whether or not the nature of that relationship will entice Sampson should there be a competition for his services) is yet to be determined, but there’s something there, apparently. The obvious connections are minor at best, but the Clippers reportedly think enough of the connection to pursue it.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 0
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 13
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 18
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 25
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10