May 26, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
Former Cavaliers coach Mike Brown switched cell phone numbers a couple years ago. As Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer tweeted, anyone Brown really wanted to talk to already knew that and had the new number.
But a lot of people didn’t get the memo. And they kept calling.
That’s where Rajesh Kumar comes in. He is a New Yorker now, a native of India who just finished up his master’s degree in engineering at New York University. He got his cell phone number when he lived in Cleveland for a couple months.
Turns out, he got Mike Brown’s old number. He told FanHouse his phone is suddenly the most popular in New York.
“I have gotten over 150 phone calls since (Monday),” Kumar said Tuesday afternoon in an interview with FanHouse from New York. “I took a nap and I woke up and I had 37 voice mail messages. I thought Mike Brown must have lost a big match.”
Pardon Kumar’s terminology.
“I’m a fan of cricket,” said Kumar, who later was able to find out Brown’s firing was the reason for all the commotion. “It’s a very exciting sport.”
Who was calling? We don’t know, outside of the office of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Kumar deleted all the other ones, and politely tells callers they have the wrong number.
Kumar is taking the whole incident in stride, far better than most of us would. Then again, I’d be listening to the messages to see who thinks they are still in Brown’s inner circle only to find out the circle moved a couple years ago.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18