May 26, 2010, 9:18 AM EST
Former Cavaliers coach Mike Brown switched cell phone numbers a couple years ago. As Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer tweeted, anyone Brown really wanted to talk to already knew that and had the new number.
But a lot of people didn’t get the memo. And they kept calling.
That’s where Rajesh Kumar comes in. He is a New Yorker now, a native of India who just finished up his master’s degree in engineering at New York University. He got his cell phone number when he lived in Cleveland for a couple months.
Turns out, he got Mike Brown’s old number. He told FanHouse his phone is suddenly the most popular in New York.
“I have gotten over 150 phone calls since (Monday),” Kumar said Tuesday afternoon in an interview with FanHouse from New York. “I took a nap and I woke up and I had 37 voice mail messages. I thought Mike Brown must have lost a big match.”
Pardon Kumar’s terminology.
“I’m a fan of cricket,” said Kumar, who later was able to find out Brown’s firing was the reason for all the commotion. “It’s a very exciting sport.”
Who was calling? We don’t know, outside of the office of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Kumar deleted all the other ones, and politely tells callers they have the wrong number.
Kumar is taking the whole incident in stride, far better than most of us would. Then again, I’d be listening to the messages to see who thinks they are still in Brown’s inner circle only to find out the circle moved a couple years ago.
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 4
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15