May 26, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
Former Cavaliers coach Mike Brown switched cell phone numbers a couple years ago. As Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer tweeted, anyone Brown really wanted to talk to already knew that and had the new number.
But a lot of people didn’t get the memo. And they kept calling.
That’s where Rajesh Kumar comes in. He is a New Yorker now, a native of India who just finished up his master’s degree in engineering at New York University. He got his cell phone number when he lived in Cleveland for a couple months.
Turns out, he got Mike Brown’s old number. He told FanHouse his phone is suddenly the most popular in New York.
“I have gotten over 150 phone calls since (Monday),” Kumar said Tuesday afternoon in an interview with FanHouse from New York. “I took a nap and I woke up and I had 37 voice mail messages. I thought Mike Brown must have lost a big match.”
Pardon Kumar’s terminology.
“I’m a fan of cricket,” said Kumar, who later was able to find out Brown’s firing was the reason for all the commotion. “It’s a very exciting sport.”
Who was calling? We don’t know, outside of the office of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Kumar deleted all the other ones, and politely tells callers they have the wrong number.
Kumar is taking the whole incident in stride, far better than most of us would. Then again, I’d be listening to the messages to see who thinks they are still in Brown’s inner circle only to find out the circle moved a couple years ago.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 5
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10