May 26, 2010, 12:33 PM EDT
We took care of your NBA-themed breakfast the other team with team-logo toast. But what about dinner?
How about pizza? With your team’s logo on it? We’re not talking somebody trying to recreate the 76ers logo in pepperoni and olives. We’re talking the actual, full color logo.
The logos won’t be sold directly to consumers but to some 1,200 independent pizza parlors nationwide. The paper-thin logos come in 12-pack resealable pouches. The image is placed atop the pizza after it has been fully baked and sliced. The logo then melts into the cheese.
“Most Americans don’t make it to an NBA game,” explains Rick Ellison, the licensee who makes Pizza Fest Edible Image toppings. “This is how they create the experience for themselves.”
The best part is this is an equally atrocious idea whether you are melting the Knicks logo on a thin crust New York style pie, the Bulls logo on a Chicago-style deep dish, or the Lakers logo on a pineapple and barbeque chicken fancy overpriced pizza in Los Angeles. Bad ideas are one thing we can count on in every corner of this great nation.
The NBA has gone Simpsons in their willingness to put team logos on anything now — headphones, gardening gloves, barbeque tongs, whatever.
As for what to do about your NBA-themed lunch — NBA logo panini sandwich presses. Coming next year. Yes, we’re serious. Bon Appetit.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 20
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9