May 26, 2010, 11:42 PM EST
Coming into the playoffs, the big question about the Boston Celtics was health. Would Ray Allen have his legs? Would Paul Pierce’s shoulder and knee respond? Would KG’s knee hold up after giving out last year? The Big Three were the question. And when the Celtics ripped off eleven wins in 14 games, they looked as healthy as can be. Yes, everything was coming up roses for the boys in Green.
Until the injuries arrived.
Yet it wasn’t the big 3 that have suffered. Instead it’s been the younger players and bench that have sustained odd injuries that now put Game 6 which should be a typical Celtics lock in question.
Rajon Rondo went to the locker room in Game 4 with “spasms” or “cramps” depending on who you talk to. Rondo’s condition isn’t considered serious, but he was noticeably limping in Game 5, and his defense nor his offense was its usual brilliant self.
Then after Kendrick Perkins whole situation I won’t even get into here, Glen Davis caught a vicious accidental elbow in the face. Right in the face. Like getting an anchor dropped on him. Or an anvil in a cartoon. Davis went down, tried to get up, slipped, tried again, slipped, then tried to stumble into the frontcourt, nearly collapsing before an official caught him and held him up. He left the floor and was diagnosed with a concussion. His status for Game 6 is up in the air.
Meanwhile, Marquis Daniels, pressed into duty because of injury, ejection, and tired legs, also got whacked and caught a concussion. Then Rasheed Wallace came up limping, before fouling out. After fouling out, he immediately went to the locker room with an undisclosed injury.
So you’re looking at two significant frontcourt players with injuries, alongside arguably the best player for the Celtics. Marquis Daniels isn’t vital, he hasn’t played much. But the others are huge, and have significant impacts on the C’s if they can’t go in Game 6.
All of a sudden that banged up, worn out identity the Celtics have carried is coming back to bite them. They just didn’t think it would be these players that would have the issues.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)