May 26, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Tom Thibodeau seems destined to finally join the head coaching ranks this summer after working for 19 years as an assistant. However, whether that opportunity will come with the Hornets or another team is still up in the air.
Although New Orleans is definitely interested in bringing Thibodeau in as their new head coach (particularly after Avery Johnson’s ambition to be a dual coach/manager ruined his chances) and were reported to have made a formal proposal to Thibodeau to be he next coach of the Hornets, Jeff Bower has refuted that claim. Via John Reid of the Times Picayune:
“The New Orleans Hornets have not made a formal offer to any
candidates involved in the process to hire a head coach,” Bower said
in a statement. “We have had discussions with many impressive
“We will issue an official update when we have concluded the process
and have reached an agreement. Any other information should be
considered rumor or unauthorized and unreliable information.”
Bower’s statement doesn’t change Thibodeau’s status as the front-runner for the Hornets job, and knowing the nature of these denials, the team could issue an offer very soon — later this week, even. For now though, New Orleans’ coaching search continues.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead