May 26, 2010, 11:08 AM EST
Mike Brown is gone — and some poor grad student is getting half his calls — but his assistants are still employed by the Cavaliers.
As with all things Cleveland right now, this move must be viewed through the prism of LeBron James. The Cavs assistants — Mike Malone, Melvin Hunt and Chris Jent — all had good relationships with James, and you don’t get rid of anyone who has good relationships with the franchise guy right now, as Brian Windhorst noted in the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
That is particularly true of James’ shooting coach Chris Jent (who had other responsibilities as well, but that is the one everybody knows).
Jent actually spent time as the interim head coach of the Orlando Magic back in 2005. Really, that should not be enough to earn him potential consideration as the next head coach of the Cavaliers… but did we mention that he has a really good relationships with James? That is the golden ticket in the NBA right now.
What roles these guys will have under the new head coach remain to be seen (he would likely have his own guys, as well) but in the quest to retain LeBron James, the Cavaliers are doing everything they can. Including keeping the people he likes on staff.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 1
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29