May 25, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT
One might have surmised this from the fact he headed up the recently-concluded coaching search, but now we have confirmation:
Ed Stefanski is staying on as president of the Philadelphia 76ers. Ed Snider, the chairman and the man who makes the ultimate decisions for team owner Comcast-Spectacor, wondered why anyone even thought Stefanski was not the man, as phillyBurbs.com reports.
“When did I ever say he wasn’t the guy?” Snider said. “He’s the general manager. He’s got two more years on his contract. I never said anything negative. Have I?”
“We weren’t giving ourselves a vote of confidence, let alone Ed,” (Comcast-Spectacor COO Peter) Luukko explained. “When you have a very disappointing year, as we did, you’ve got to take a couple weeks away from it, a couple steps back, and try to get the emotions out, then begin to build it back.”
Just a note to Snider and Luukko — saying nothing when people start speculating about your GMs job is generally a sign you’re thinking of making a change. People assume if you’re not saying anything it’s because you can’t say something nice. Next time, give the man a little public pat on the back. Thanks for listening.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9