May 25, 2010, 1:09 AM EST
Phil Jackson returning to the Chicago Bulls?
It’s a long shot. It’s not like he left Chicago on the best of terms. Plus, he would have to leave a title-contending team in the warm-weather city where his once-posed-for-Playboy girlfriend lives to move to a cold-weather city where he would be chasing past glory.
But the Bulls are asking, according to ESPN the Magazine’s Chris Broussard.
There has been no direct contact between Bulls officials and Jackson, according to the sources, but people close to both parties have spoken and come away with the belief that Jackson would be open to a potential reunion in Chicago next season.
Gar Forman, the Bulls’ general manager, refused to comment on the club’s coaching search when reached Monday night by telephone.
Other teams are likely to do the same thing — Phil Jackson has said the Lakers are expecting him to take a paycut from the $12.5 million he made this season. And he has no contract for next season. The assumption is he might be interested in leaving if the money is right.
But the more to getting Jackson out of Los Angeles — he is comfortable now. Prying him out of a beach city to deal with the wind off the lake in Chicago in February will not be easy. But teams are asking, which Jackson has to at least listen to. And should concern the Lakers because it’s not about the money with Jackson, it is about the challenge and titles. And depending on how free agency shakes out other teams may offer the chance to chase those things.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)