May 24, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
It is possible that the Minnesota Timberwolves will move down in this draft — some team in love with DeMarcus Cousins could offer a sweet package to move up, and if so the Wolves would be hard pressed to turn that down.
But if the offers are not so sweet, how about them taking the latest love of he Syracuse faithful, Wesley Johnson? The idea was floated in the Pioneer Express.
(Timberwolves General Manager David) Kahn and Wolves coach Kurt Rambis have identified an athletic small forward/shooting guard as a key offseason priority for the club, and Johnson, a first-team All-American last season, appears to fill that role. ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale called Johnson the best small forward in the draft.
“Johnson would be a solid pick for Minnesota,” (ESPN college basketball analyst Dick) Vitale said. “He’s got the athleticism, quickness and explosiveness you want in a player at his position.”
The Wolves themselves can choose Cousins, the beasty big man out of Kentucky, but his game is not all that different from Al Jefferson. And the Wolves already have Al Jefferson (although Cousins is bigger and may be a true center). It makes Johnson the logical choice.
But Kahn has shown no fear in the past of stockpiling picks and talent at the same position. Cousins is not off the table, but Johnson makes a lot of sense if the Wolves like him in workouts.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?