May 24, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
It is possible that the Minnesota Timberwolves will move down in this draft — some team in love with DeMarcus Cousins could offer a sweet package to move up, and if so the Wolves would be hard pressed to turn that down.
But if the offers are not so sweet, how about them taking the latest love of he Syracuse faithful, Wesley Johnson? The idea was floated in the Pioneer Express.
(Timberwolves General Manager David) Kahn and Wolves coach Kurt Rambis have identified an athletic small forward/shooting guard as a key offseason priority for the club, and Johnson, a first-team All-American last season, appears to fill that role. ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale called Johnson the best small forward in the draft.
“Johnson would be a solid pick for Minnesota,” (ESPN college basketball analyst Dick) Vitale said. “He’s got the athleticism, quickness and explosiveness you want in a player at his position.”
The Wolves themselves can choose Cousins, the beasty big man out of Kentucky, but his game is not all that different from Al Jefferson. And the Wolves already have Al Jefferson (although Cousins is bigger and may be a true center). It makes Johnson the logical choice.
But Kahn has shown no fear in the past of stockpiling picks and talent at the same position. Cousins is not off the table, but Johnson makes a lot of sense if the Wolves like him in workouts.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30