May 24, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
It is possible that the Minnesota Timberwolves will move down in this draft — some team in love with DeMarcus Cousins could offer a sweet package to move up, and if so the Wolves would be hard pressed to turn that down.
But if the offers are not so sweet, how about them taking the latest love of he Syracuse faithful, Wesley Johnson? The idea was floated in the Pioneer Express.
(Timberwolves General Manager David) Kahn and Wolves coach Kurt Rambis have identified an athletic small forward/shooting guard as a key offseason priority for the club, and Johnson, a first-team All-American last season, appears to fill that role. ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale called Johnson the best small forward in the draft.
“Johnson would be a solid pick for Minnesota,” (ESPN college basketball analyst Dick) Vitale said. “He’s got the athleticism, quickness and explosiveness you want in a player at his position.”
The Wolves themselves can choose Cousins, the beasty big man out of Kentucky, but his game is not all that different from Al Jefferson. And the Wolves already have Al Jefferson (although Cousins is bigger and may be a true center). It makes Johnson the logical choice.
But Kahn has shown no fear in the past of stockpiling picks and talent at the same position. Cousins is not off the table, but Johnson makes a lot of sense if the Wolves like him in workouts.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 23
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 39
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 29
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12