May 24, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
You know, it’s rough being Greg Oden. I mean, the guy goes through a lot. He’s constantly compared to one of the greatest players in the NBA, all because he was selected ahead of Durant in the draft (like you’re supposed to be better than the players selected after you, hah!). He deals with more health issues than your 75 year old grandfather who had the drinking problem and worked in the asbestos factory while smoking three packs a day (as opposed to your grandmother who did all the same things and is fine). He’s sensitive. He’s emotional. He’s under a lot of pressure.
He’s got some folks on his side. An interview that paints him well helps. The usual throng of the Portland faithful there, who are the closest thing the NBA has to zealots. They’re pretty protective.
But one thing he did do to earn some flack was not showing up for Portland’s playoff games, instead hanging out at his mom’s house, with a reason given being that sitting on the bench was uncomfortable.
Well, Dwight Jaynes, former reporter in Portland, notes a conspicuous activity Oden got listed at. Oden was listed at the Hard Rock Hotel’s Rehab pool for a party, alongside MTV reality stars and the Three 6 Mafia.
But hey, it was almost a month later. Maybe Oden’s knee really was feeling better. Maybe he just took a pool chair and laid out in the sun, not doing anything. But it does add to the rampant conversations about Oden and how he’s perceived. He wasn’t able to be with his teammates in Portland, fighting for their playoff lives, until Game 6, but he was able to go “chillax” with the stars a month later.
You don’t know. It’s hard being him. He had to get up on that one knee and go get his drinks with umbrellas in them himself!
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 2
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30