May 24, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
You know, it’s rough being Greg Oden. I mean, the guy goes through a lot. He’s constantly compared to one of the greatest players in the NBA, all because he was selected ahead of Durant in the draft (like you’re supposed to be better than the players selected after you, hah!). He deals with more health issues than your 75 year old grandfather who had the drinking problem and worked in the asbestos factory while smoking three packs a day (as opposed to your grandmother who did all the same things and is fine). He’s sensitive. He’s emotional. He’s under a lot of pressure.
He’s got some folks on his side. An interview that paints him well helps. The usual throng of the Portland faithful there, who are the closest thing the NBA has to zealots. They’re pretty protective.
But one thing he did do to earn some flack was not showing up for Portland’s playoff games, instead hanging out at his mom’s house, with a reason given being that sitting on the bench was uncomfortable.
Well, Dwight Jaynes, former reporter in Portland, notes a conspicuous activity Oden got listed at. Oden was listed at the Hard Rock Hotel’s Rehab pool for a party, alongside MTV reality stars and the Three 6 Mafia.
But hey, it was almost a month later. Maybe Oden’s knee really was feeling better. Maybe he just took a pool chair and laid out in the sun, not doing anything. But it does add to the rampant conversations about Oden and how he’s perceived. He wasn’t able to be with his teammates in Portland, fighting for their playoff lives, until Game 6, but he was able to go “chillax” with the stars a month later.
You don’t know. It’s hard being him. He had to get up on that one knee and go get his drinks with umbrellas in them himself!
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 3
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39