May 24, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT
Dan Majerle threw his hat into the ring for the Sixers coaching job, which is a step in the coaching dance that can be loosely interpreted to mean, “I’ll take any head coaching gig, no matter how mediocre.”
So naturally, when faced with the possibility of coaching the Chicago Bulls next season — who not only have Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah, but plenty of cap space — Majerle was completely and unsurprisingly open to the idea. From Nick Friedell of ESPN Chicago:
Phoenix Suns assistant coach Dan Majerle said he hasn’t discussed the Chicago Bulls head coaching vacancy with Bulls general manager Gar Forman or executive vice president John Paxson, but he is willing to listen if they call.
“Of course,” he said to ESPNChicago.com before Game 3 of the Western Conference finals on Sunday night. “Yeah, I’m willing to listen to anybody.”
Majerle recently interviewed for the Philadelphia 76ers job that ultimately went to former Bulls head coach Doug Collins. Majerle is intrigued by the possibility of coaching a team that could feature LeBron James if the Bulls land the Cavaliers superstar during free agency later this summer.
“To me, any job would be a great job to be able to be a head coach at,” he said. “The Chicago franchise is a storied franchise, a great city, one of my favorite cities. Derrick Rose is great, [Joakim] Noah’s got a lot of energy — they’ve got a lot of young, nice pieces. Anytime James is talked about, any coach would love to coach a player like that.”
Majerle agreed with the notion that the Bulls job is one of the best on the market.
Majerle may be in a tough spot; not only are there other veteran head coaches to compete with for job openings like Avery Johnson or the recently-hired Doug Collins, but Majerle isn’t even the most popular assistant on the market. Dallas’ Dwane Casey, who has been linked to the Atlanta Hawks vacancy, and Tom Thibodeau, who has been linked to every coaching vacancy everywhere, are pulling much more demand, along with a number of other assistant coaches from around the league.
That said, Majerle seems to be a head coach in waiting. Maybe the location of that head coaching job has yet to be determined, but he’s on the short list of NBA assistants for consideration. Even if Gar Forman hasn’t called him yet, small victories are still victories, right?
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30