Cavaliers' players step up for Mike Brown, just not the player that matters

May 24, 2010, 6:38 PM EDT

Ilgauskas.jpgMike Brown is getting some love from teammates the day after he was kicked to the curb despite two 60-win seasons in a row.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer asked around and Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Mo Williams had their former coach’s back. Big Z, take it away:

“I have nothing but good things to say about him,” Ilgauskas told The Plain Dealer. “I enjoyed playing for him. I think coach Brown is a very good coach.

“Obviously, we didn’t achieve what we set out to achieve, which is to win a championship. But if you’re going to lay all the blame on coach Brown and think that’s going to solve everything, you’ve got another think coming. I think we’re all at fault — the players, everybody. You have to, at some point, accept some of the responsibility. We all have to do that.”

Whoa, just wait one second there. It is the players’ fault, not the coach? That is blasphemy.

“Do I think he deserved it? No,” Williams said. “My question is: Who’s out there that’s better? He’s not a bad coach. To fire him, that’s making a big statement. After him, you have to get a Hall of Fame coach.

“I thought we prematurely acted on our emotions, as an organization. I think he did a good job. If anything, bring in a veteran assistant. I think we just could have gotten better instead of blowing it all up. Now we’re starting over.”

Mo and Big Z can talk all they want, but right now only one voice really matters –LeBron James.

Officially, he said nothing. But when he went in press conferences these playoffs and publicly questioned the team strategy, that spoke volumes. If he wanted Brown as coach, Brown would be the coach today.

Thing is Mike Brown deserves some blame, his offensive sets could be simplistic and unimaginative, his adjustments not matching the needs. Sometimes if you’re going to take the next step you need to make a change. Maybe, probably this was as far as Mike Brown could take this team.

But don’t for a second think this is all on him.

1. Rick - May 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM

There isn’t a coach alive, that can Make Lebron James act like an adult

2. jeff - May 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM

LeBron to Portland! Please!
    And more good reading- that’s funny – at porkchopfactory. com!

3. luffy - May 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Are you kidding me? Why would you even want big Z’s comment? that piece of trash that the Cavs signed out of pity or something. And Mo Williams, I know he’s good but doesn’t know defense…
    Going back, Yes please kick out Mike Brown. You know what makes him look great? It’s because Lebron James is a good player so the coach looks good. I mean, wtf? What more could you ask for in the current cavs line-up? They even signed that damned Jamison when they already got Hickson?

4. David - May 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM

He did not say Mike Brown was not the blame, he stated Mike Brown was not all the blame and there was enough to go around. And there definately was. This decision was not thought out, but issued because of today’s date. If he were employed today, they would owe him $5.4M.
    Now Cleveland is left with 2 (in my opinion) choices. Larry “I have never won either” Brown. Who already stated he is not leaving Chrolette.
    Phil Jackson, and it would be crazy for Clevland to think on that one!

5. Anonymous - May 25, 2010 at 12:04 AM

-David. It is actually Larry “I’m not leaving Charlotte but I did win one with the Pistons” Brown.

6. luffy - May 25, 2010 at 5:17 AM

Sorry David but I have much respect for Larry Brown, he’s the real deal. Going to Detroit and bringing them a championship run…

7. Tedrick - May 25, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I agree with Luffy. Davis what league have you been watching. Larry Brown is a great coach. Took the 76′ers with the worst supporting cast ever to the finals, took the Clippers and Bobcats to the playoffs. Also won titles in Detroit and in College at Kansas with a okay Kansas team. This equals Hall of Fame. Give the man his respect. With that said he would be great in Cleveland but he nor Phil Jackson are going anywhere. By the way where is Chrolette located?

8. Tedrick - May 25, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I agree with Luffy. David what league have you been watching? Larry Brown is a great coach. Took the 76′ers with the worst supporting cast ever to the finals, took the Clippers and Bobcats to the playoffs. Also won titles in Detroit and in College at Kansas with a okay Kansas team. This equals Hall of Fame. Give the man his respect. With that said he would be great in Cleveland but he nor Phil Jackson are going anywhere. Bottom line is Mike Brown under achieved and this is a business he is not a offensive coach and has one of the top 5 offensive weapons to play the game.

9. JohnnyB - May 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Larry Brown would be a huge mistake in Cleveland. He prefers coaching journeyman veterans and getting them to overachieve. He is terrible with star players. He is way too confrontational and divisive. He would come into Cleveland and immediately start backstabbing Lebron James in the press. That has been his style everywhere he’s been. He leaves teams in tatters after he bolts for greener pastures (which he surely would after 1 year).
    And Phil Jackson is a pipedream in Cleveland. Not Happening! More than likely he will push for Lebron to team up with Kobe in LA or come with him to the LA Clippers. And lead that young talented team. Lebron, Baron Davis, Blake Griffin, Kaman and Phil Jackson. That would be instant playoff status and a serious contender in the West.

10. Jimsjam33 - May 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Is Whoopie Goldberg interested ? The Cavs could buy out her contract with the ” View ” and get the coach they really need . She could babysit a bunch of cry babies and go ” Hollywood . ”
    Let’s face it . Lebron or no Lebron the Cavs are finished . Have a garage sale with Shaq , Jamison , ” Z ” and Hickson . I hear Rick Fox is a free agent and ready for another go .
    Cleveland is starved for star power !

11. Cynthia - May 25, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Patrick Ewing is looking for a head coaching position. I’m not seeing this mentioned anywhere.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches