May 24, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Remember how the Bulls fired Vinny Del Negro and were going to get an experienced head coach, one with NBA playoff experience?
That or Tom Thibodeau, apparently.
Some league sources suggest Thibodeau has become the frontrunner for the Bulls job. Ex-Portland and Philadelphia coach Maurice Cheeks remains a strong candidate, while former Nets coach Lawrence Frank has slipped. The Bulls held informal talks with both Cheeks and Franks this week during the Chicago predraft camp.
Thibodeau deserves a chance, and may very well turn out to be an excellent head coach. He has the background, he has proven himself as an assistant and is doing so again. Bottom line, you can see the team he coaches winning.
But in releasing Del Negro, the Bulls talked about experience, they had just hired a first-time head coach and felt burned by the experience. They wanted a big time name.
Thibodeau is a big name in basketball circles, but he is not one to the casual fan, he is not selling any seats. That doesn’t really matter if he could sell LeBron James on coming to Chicago, but is a top assistant really the kind of thing that would lure LeBron?
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 7
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 7
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 19
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39