May 23, 2010, 3:55 PM EST
If you guessed Andrew Bynum, you’re a winner!
On the one hand, Bynum’s completely right to start talking about a Lakers-Celtics Finals. The Lakers easily dispatched the Suns in Games 1 and 2, and the Celtics have taken the Magic out the back door and thrown them in the gutter. So stating the obvious, that the two teams are going to meet isn’t outrageous in any sense.
What it is, however, is a dangerous piece of bulletin board material for the Phoenix Suns.
Bynum told reporters that “it’s going to be amazing to play against those guys again, especially
having lost” when asked about playing the more physical Celtics.
And he wasn’t done.
“We’re going to have a lot of fuel, a lot of ammo to go at those guys,”
Bynum said. “They’re definitely a great team, they got great veterans on
their squad and we know that. So we’re already getting prepared. The
first step is closing out Game 3 and after that, we’ll be focusing on
Boston, looking at them play, watching how they’re playing Orlando and
just trying to pick up as much as we can.”
So yeah. That’s, uh… a big flip of the bird to the karmic Gods. Luckily, Bynum plays for the Lakers, the Gods’ favorite fleet, so there will be no repercussions. But Bynum would do well to remember that the Suns came back from 3-1 to beat the Lakers a few years ago. That was a much worse Lakers team (and arguably a much better Suns team), but you also don’t want to top that by somehow losing a series after going up 3-0.
It’s good to be the Kings of the NBA. You can back up your talk, as Bynum and company will likely do tonight versus the Suns.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 6
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9