May 22, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
No matter how reasonable the Mavericks will try and make this move and no matter how likely they willl say it is that he re-signs, the fact is today’s move will send tremors throughout the NBA landscape examining this summer’s free agency. The move?
ESPN’s Marc Stein reports that Dirk Nowiztki is expected to opt-out of his current contract and become an unrestricted free agency this summer.
And lo, there will be offers.
The Mavericks, according to Stein, are unfazed by this development, with President of Basketball Operations Donnie Nelson quoted as saying that this development “doesn’t change (their) approach one bit.”
The Mavericks are currently in the process of working on a max extension for the All-Star power forward, and of course maintain the ability to offer Dirk the most money under the current CBA. With that knowledge in place, it’s still extremely likely that he’ll return to Dallas. By opting out, he protects himself from potential declines in this salary from year to year.
If Dirkalicious wants to look around, though, he’s going to find offers. Something people tend to overlook in this summer’s free agency outlook is that there is higher demand than supply. A plethora of teams have cap space to sign major free agents, but with Amar’e Stoudemire still likely to stay in Phoenix and Dwyane Wade likely to stay in Miami, there are going to be suitors for a player of Dirk’s caliber.
Miami, for example, is staring at the possibility of Chris Bosh joining LeBron in Chicago, while they are left with… Carlos Boozer. Which is like the guy in front of you getting the last dougnut and you getting stuck with the moldy empty long-john that costs $400.
So there will be offers. But Dirk is Dallas. Well, not really. Tony Romo is Dallas. But Dirk’s kind of Dallas. He’s …. Fort Worth? Part of the greater area but not the actual city, though actually much cooler in some ways?
I’m going to stop this metaphor madness. Short story, Dirk’s likely going to re-sign, but he’s going to have options.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40