May 22, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
We told you J.J. Redick would be a part of this series. And for better AND for worse, he has been.
Redick put his mark on Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals moreso than any playoff game in his career. It was Redick who scored 16 points and added five rebounds and four assists, while being assigned to Ray Allen. Allen scored just 4 points in close to 39 minutes on the floor, thanks mostly to the work of Redick, plowing through screens and constantly challenging Allen. Then Redick erased his terrific play by failing to recognize the situation he was in upon rebounding a Kevin Garnett miss, costing his team both time for the final shot and the ability to advance the ball.
Such a terrible way to end a great performance. And yet, tonight in Boston, it’ll again be Redick who will be called upon to attempt to shut down one of Boston’s Big 3. It’ll be notable to see how Redick responds to the world of controversy he’s faced over the last week in an attempt to bounce back. Redick is a reliable three point shooter, which the Magic have been hunting for, with the Celtics geared towards running off the shots they allowed in last year’s Semifinals.
Redick played brilliantly but may have cost his team the game. So tonight, he’ll be called upon to do everything he did in Game 2, all except that.
The chess game continues, even as Boston has checkmate in sight.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42