May 22, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
Mark Cuban can’t be surprised he was fined today, but nonetheless, he’ll be feeling a frown on his face when he gets the bill.
Less than two days after word broke that Mark Cuban had told CNN Money that the Mavericks would be interested in James if he were to opt-out and enter free agency (which, you know, he will), the league has responded. Players and league personnel are prohibited from talking about players under contract, and as of now, James is still a Cavalier. And so the league has lowered the hammer, delivering a $100,000 fine to the Mavericks owner for his comments.
$100,000. Dollars. It’s not the $200,000 he received for rushing onto the court against the Spurs or the $250,000 he received for his comments about the 2006 Finals, but it’s not far behind.
In comparison, Suns GM Steve Kerr was fined $10,000 for his comments on radio earlier this week.
The $100,000 comes on the heels of a lawsuit against Cuban’s Dallas Basketball LLC by a minority owner for insolvency. It also comes on the heels of news that Dirk Nowitzki plans to opt-out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.
Not the best week for the man, even if he is a billionaire.
It’s understandable why the league took the action, given their strict adherence to the rules, and the importance of respect for teams who are vulnerable to departing free agents. At the same time… come on. Everyone knows James will be on the open market. Cuban didn’t say “If LeBron becomes a free agent, I’ll make him a king like a pharaoh and do anything he wants. Literally anything.” He simply stated that the Mavericks would be in a position to offer a sign and trade, which they would be.
Kind of a lot for an owner being honest.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36