May 22, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Philadelphia 76ers have got their man. The New Orleans Hornets are down to a couple assistant coaches they like. The Hawks are interviewing. The Nets waited for their new owner to be in place but their coaching search is going. The Bulls have done an interview and fended off John Calipari rumors.
And the Clippers sit.
NBA.com’s Scott Howard Cooper explains the thinking from the good ship Clippers:
League insiders attending the pre-Draft camp here said the Clippers are prepared to wait until July to name a head coach if they feel the decision can be used as part of an intriguing, if unusual, offer to their top target.
On the court — with Blake Griffin, Chris Kaman, Baron Davis and Eric Gordon — the Clippers have some nice pieces to entice a free agent. This team could be good. Now they can throw in the coaching offer. Of course, off the court, well, if you’re a free agent do you want to bet the next five years of your career on the whims of Donald Sterling?
The real question with the Clippers coaching decision is this: Who is making the call? Donald Sterling likes to get involved a little, flirt a little, but not be invoved in the details. Is team president Andy Roeser making the call? General Manager (for now) Neil Olshey? Unlike every other coaching search, we can’t even really answer that basic question. But it’s the Clippers.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 10
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 7
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 15
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26