May 22, 2010, 2:10 PM EST
The Philadelphia 76ers have got their man. The New Orleans Hornets are down to a couple assistant coaches they like. The Hawks are interviewing. The Nets waited for their new owner to be in place but their coaching search is going. The Bulls have done an interview and fended off John Calipari rumors.
And the Clippers sit.
NBA.com’s Scott Howard Cooper explains the thinking from the good ship Clippers:
League insiders attending the pre-Draft camp here said the Clippers are prepared to wait until July to name a head coach if they feel the decision can be used as part of an intriguing, if unusual, offer to their top target.
On the court — with Blake Griffin, Chris Kaman, Baron Davis and Eric Gordon — the Clippers have some nice pieces to entice a free agent. This team could be good. Now they can throw in the coaching offer. Of course, off the court, well, if you’re a free agent do you want to bet the next five years of your career on the whims of Donald Sterling?
The real question with the Clippers coaching decision is this: Who is making the call? Donald Sterling likes to get involved a little, flirt a little, but not be invoved in the details. Is team president Andy Roeser making the call? General Manager (for now) Neil Olshey? Unlike every other coaching search, we can’t even really answer that basic question. But it’s the Clippers.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 14
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 16
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 20
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)