May 21, 2010, 2:51 PM EDT
As predicted, it became official today: Doug Collins is the new head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.
Collins was the first person Sixers General Manager Ed Stefanski interviewed, back on May 1. The two sides started negotiations a few days ago and have reached a four-year deal, according to Associated Press.
Collins replaces Eddie Jordan, whose Princeton offense put off Sixers players in training camp. To say that Jordan lost the team implies he had it at some point, and that was not the case. It was a bad fit.
Collins will bring some passion. He cares about the game, about playing smart basketball, about respecting the sport. Players should connect with that. Now, how Collins deals with Elton Brand in December may be a different matter all together.
Collins takes over a team with some nice young players — Jrue Holiday at the point, Andre Iguodala, Samuel Dalembert, Thaddeus Young, Marreese Speights — but hampered from rebuilding by the anchor that is Brand, his enormous contract and pedestrian output. The Sixers do, however, have the second pick overall in the draft and can add Evan Turner to the mix.
Collins is expected to be formally introduced as the coach on Monday.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 32
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record