May 20, 2010, 12:38 PM EDT
Dwight Howard is a brute in the low post with no moves, he just gets by on his sheer force and athleticism, right? He can’t adjust because of that, which is why the Celtics can stop him, right?
Nobody is suggesting Howard has all the post moves of Pau Gasol, but he does have a few. And he can make adjustments — he did for Game 2 against the Celtics and ended up with 30 points on 9 of 13 shooting, and he got to the line. Orlando’s problem was that guys not named Dwight Howard shot just 32.8 percent on the night.
Zach Harper over at Hardwood Paroxysm broke down the adjustments Howard made with video and words. How he made better, more decisive decisions and that let him get off shots before Kendrick Perkins could get that big body into him.
Dwight Howard definitely has a post game and it’s still growing. Ever since some time in January, Dwight has been showing real improvement in the way he scores with his back to the basket and when he faces up and drives on his defenders. Like I said in the video, he doesn’t have a huge repertoire of moves. He’s definitely not going to be doing any Kevin McHale impersonations any time soon. But he has a couple of go-to moves in the paint….
Give him room to operate by spreading the floor and a confident, relaxed and poised Dwight will unleash his small set of post moves and do it effectively. Hopefully for Orlando, it will turn into some wins in this series.
The problem for Orlando is not Howard not scoring — he did that — it’s that the Celtics are not giving anybody else room to score efficiently. The ball movement that Atlanta did little more than watch doesn’t work against a team that can recover like the Celtics. Boston is contesting everything. And they will continue to single-cover Howard.
And if you’re watching, you’ll see a couple post moves.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte