May 20, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Mike Woodson made the Atlanta Hawks better but oversaw a slow offense despite having amazing athletes for the fast break, and he could never get them over the hump in the playoffs. So the Hawks let him walk.
Their first look at a replacement coach? Avery Johnson, according to NBA.com’s writing on twitter.
Johnson is a guy who had the Mavericks playing at one of the slowest paces in the league and who was eventually let go in Dallas because he could not get the team over the hump in the playoffs. He did get them to the NBA Finals, where they were the favorites but got run over by Dwyane Wade and the Heat (and the Mavericks got called for blocking while getting run over, it was that kind of series).
Interesting first choice for an interview. Not so sure he solves the Hawks problems. But he will be just the first of several interviews. Johnson continues to be mentioned as one of the leading candidates for the New Orleans Hornets job as well.
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 0
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 56
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36