May 20, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Mike Woodson made the Atlanta Hawks better but oversaw a slow offense despite having amazing athletes for the fast break, and he could never get them over the hump in the playoffs. So the Hawks let him walk.
Their first look at a replacement coach? Avery Johnson, according to NBA.com’s writing on twitter.
Johnson is a guy who had the Mavericks playing at one of the slowest paces in the league and who was eventually let go in Dallas because he could not get the team over the hump in the playoffs. He did get them to the NBA Finals, where they were the favorites but got run over by Dwyane Wade and the Heat (and the Mavericks got called for blocking while getting run over, it was that kind of series).
Interesting first choice for an interview. Not so sure he solves the Hawks problems. But he will be just the first of several interviews. Johnson continues to be mentioned as one of the leading candidates for the New Orleans Hornets job as well.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 0
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 7
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6