May 19, 2010, 5:34 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Daily News and Associated Press are reporting that the Sixers have entered negotiations with former NBA head coach and current TNT analyst Doug Collins to become their new head coach.
That means if they can come to terms on money — and Philadelphia has to already have a pretty good idea what they needed to pay him to get him — Collins will get the job. One Philadelphia area sports radio station is reporting (via Philadunkia) the deal is done unless there is a significant breakdown in negotiations.
No real surprise here — Collins was the first interview (although the Sixers did plenty) and has been a front-runner the entire way.
This is a solid hire for the Sixers. They have gone from a coach that the players did not listen to — and whose offense they couldn’t figure out — to a guy who brings a little cache to the job. The whole “I coached Michael Jordan” card will get people’s attention.
The Sixers are rebuilding even if they are not willing to admit it, a process hampered by the massive contract of Elton Brand (paired with his pedestrian production). But with the number two pick in the draft they have the potential for a speedy backcourt of Jrue Holiday, to-be-drafted Evan Turner and Andre Iguodala. There is potential there, especially if Collins can get the Sixers to play better defense then convert that to fast break points.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?