May 19, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
As if the referees weren’t in enough trouble for game two of the Celtics/Magic series — the terrible charging call on JJ Redick when the game was in doubt, or the nine straight calls against the Celtics earlier in the fourth quarter — there comes this, from the Associated Press:
(Joe) DeRosa was walking to the scorer’s table to get the warm-up jackets for his crew, a common practice before the trio of referees leave the floor at intermission. A fan behind the table approached DeRosa, gesturing with his arms and appearing to be shouting at the veteran official.
DeRosa flipped the game ball to the fan, who tossed it back. DeRosa then motioned for the man to be ejected by security.
This is all being investigated by the league. However, we climb all over players when they can’t rise above taunts and words — of fans or other players — and we need to expect at least that much from the referees. It’s a hard job, a thankless one. But to quote the Super Chicken theme song — you knew the job was dangerous when you took it.
Got to be bigger than this, refs. Rise above.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 24
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 11
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 5
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0