May 19, 2010, 10:18 PM EDT
In Game 2 the Suns offense looks to the eye a little more fluid — the pick and roll is working better (but not great), they got some pretty baskets in transition, they are hitting 50 percent of their threes. They scored a respectable 56 first half points.
But they still cannot stop the Lakers offense — that was the story of the first half just as it was the story of Game 1. At the half of Game 2, the Lakers are ahead 65-56 and have been in control of this the entire way.
In a lot of ways this felt like a repeat of Game 1: The semi-quiet crowd, the Lakers getting a lead then holding it in the 8 to 12 range for much of the half, the Suns never really able to cut seriously into it. They tried a number of things — including a zone defense for a while — but the Lakers continue to just carve them up. The score is even close to the halftime score of Game 1 (that was 62-55 Lakers).
The Suns were 6 of 12 from three for the half, but the Lakers are 7 of 11. Suns are not even winning the battles they expected to. In the paint, the Lakers still getting what they want — 18 points on 9 of 13 shooting in the first quarter alone.
Ron Artest leads the Lakers in scoring — 15 points on 5 of 7 shooting. Suns Coach Alvin Gentry said before the game they could live with a huge Kobe Bryant night, they had to keep the supporting cast quiet. They are not. Amar’e Stoudemire leads the Suns with 11, the only Sun in double digits.
If the Suns do not figure out how to defend the Lakers fast, they will go home in a massive 2-0 hole.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31