May 19, 2010, 1:55 AM EDT
Paul Pierce’s Twitter account, @paulpierce34, has been verified for authenticity to give his followers the assurance that the feed is, in fact, legitimate. There’s no guarantee that Pierce is the man behind the keyboard (or plugging away from his phone, whatever), but at the very least we can rest assured that the messages being broadcast through that frequency are done so as a representation of Pierce himself.
That makes a few of Pierce’s latest tweets a bit interesting. The tweets from his account started off with some mild trash talk, warning that “You know we going crazy tonight. sorry Dwight.” He followed that up with an affirmation of his earlier taunt following the Celtics Game 2 victory, and finally, a tweet heard round the world:
“Anybody got a BROOM?”
There are numerous pieces of evidence that point to this being something aside from the mouthpiece of Pierce himself. The account is verified and does belong to Paul, but the bizarre online trash talk seems to have come from nowhere, contradicts Pierce and the Celtics’ “taking care of business” company line in favor of a more brash approach, and while all of Pierce’s other tweets were submitted via text or Twitter’s web site, the tweets in question were sent in using a non-browser agent called Twitterific. Ladies and gentlemen, I’d say this is a hack.
If nothing else, it’s all a bit bizarre, though I’m sure it will only be a matter of time before Pierce and his representatives confirm what we already know: the Twitter trash talk, while entertaining, isn’t from Paul.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 0
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 8
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 34
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 24
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 8
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (80)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay