May 19, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
Dwight Howard gave a good playoff foul to Paul Pierce in the second quarter of last night’s game. A hard foul that caught Pierce’s head. He got a “flagrant one” for that — meaning Pierce got his free throws and the Celtics got the ball out of bounds.
But that will be the extent of the punishment. The league announced today that Howard would not be suspended for Game 3, something TrueHoop’s Henry Abbott broke.
That’s the fair call. It was a hard foul, but this was not something with malicious intent behind it. It was a playoff foul. Not something you suspend a guy over.
So Dwight Howard plays Saturday. Not that it is going to help.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10