May 19, 2010, 6:43 PM EDT
From the department of messed up stories involving the parents of NBA veterans in the NBA Conference Finals:
Celtics’ reserve Marquis Daniels’ stepfather Willie L. Buie was involved in a disturbance last night during the Celtics’ win over the Magic. The responding officers attempted to remove Buie, which he then fought, yelling profanities and swinging his arms free. This resulted in the officers using a taser on the 55 year old man for five seconds in the process of arresting him.
(Side note: I understand the practicality of noting how long the gun was used on him, but it just sticks out. I mean, is ten seconds dramatically worse than five seconds? Did they time it? Did they yell “one-Mississippi-two-Mississipi”?)
So after Amar’e Stoudemire’s mom apparently put him in a mouthing off mood with her continued shenanigans, now we have a Celtics’ reserve’s father getting tasered on the road. Maybe leave your folks at home, NBA players. There’s a pattern forming here.
Daniels hasn’t been on the floor in this series, having slipped out of the rotation with Tony Allen excelling. And now this. Not the best week. The fact that this happened with Orlando security is likely to cause some questions about what exactly it was that Buie did to elicit an ejection.
The good news is he was tasered for less time than this series will take.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4