Shannon Brown: I could have made that dunk

May 18, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT

Brown_dunk.jpgWhat was the most jaw dropping play of Game 1 between the Lakers and the Suns had a couple things wrong with it.

It was Shannon Brown almost leaping Jason Richardson for a dunk. The problems are: 1) That should have been called a charge; 2) Brown missed the dunk.

But he says he could have made it.

“I looked at the rim a little too late,” Brown said. “I sized up the defense and took off, but if I had looked at the rim I could have made that a spectacular play.”

It was still pretty spectacular — it had Kevin Durant tweeting that Shannon Brown has the biggest hops in the league. Brown said he knew he was going to attack from the start.

“When I got the ball from L (Odom) I looked and tried to let my peripheral (vision) do the work. I saw there was nobody in front of me and the guy on my left was occupied and to my right there wasn’t anybody,” Brown said. “Jason Richardson stopped, and when he stopped I seen where he stopped and then before he can do anything I just took off.

“Like I said if I had looked at the rim a little bit earlier I would have finished it. I was looking to see if he was set. I was looking to see how far away he was from the basket and all that… if I had looked at the basket I would have got higher, but I didn’t look at the basket until I was in the air already.”

Finishing that dunk would have been spectacular. But it was still a charge.

1. mick the ripper - May 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Yes it was a charge and these NBA ref’s need to stop favoring the Lakers with these types of foul calls. Shannon Brown’s leaping ability was extremely impressive but get real. It seemed everytime up the floor the Lakers were banging with the Suns and when the Suns tried to be even somewhat physical a whistle would blow. NBA is my favorite professional sport but it is by far the worst officiated professional sport without a doubt.

2. Matt - May 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Favoring the Lakers?
    Looking at the stat-line the Suns shot more free throws than the Lakers and the game was in LA. Yes, it was a bad call, but no, the referees were definitely not calling a pro-Laker game.

3. Lakers4Lyfe - May 18, 2010 at 1:51 PM

How is it a charge when Richardson has one foot in the restricted zone? C’mon, Kurt, really. You must be bored to be writing this crap.

4. Jake - May 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM

look in order for it to be a charge Richardson’s feet have to be set watch the game you can even tell thru the picture that his feet were in the act of moving dont argue a charge call if you dont even know what a charge is ya nba refs are terrible you can agrue all you want that they favor the lakers even know they are terrible every game but the refs didnt make kobe score 40 or make the lakers win the game by 20pts or so

5. Tyler - May 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM

It SHOULD have been a charge, if a real defensive player was there, but the fact is instead of taking the charge like a man he turned his body into Shannon to absorb the contact. When Shannon went up for it I was yelling at him to stop because he was going to pick up a charge, but then realized Jason Richardson doesn’t have the commitment and fortitude to take that charge. There is a reason some teams are bad defensive teams.

6. Chris - May 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Have to say that I am a lakers fan, and I have no problem saying so when officiating is one sided, but look at the Statistics. The suns did shoot more free throws so I couldn’t say it was a one sided game for the lakers. It was one sided in regards to scoring, considering that Kobe put up 40, Lamar outrebounded the suns bigs, and Pau couldn’t miss. When the Lakers play like this they are hard to beat. In regards to the Dunk, it is pretty easy to say that even though he missed it, it is definetely one of those plays that when you are watching it makes you say ‘wow’. Hopefully the lakers can continue to play like this and not stoop down to their opponents level. They have won 7 straight games! Go Lakers!

7. Alo - May 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I just reviewed the video 5 more times and it could only be someone completely blind ( or 3 of them is this forum..lol) who would not see that Richardson stuck his right shoulder out to earn the blocking foul. Like someone her said he did not take the charge like a man. He did not hit the floor at all but simply turned sideways after taken the contact.

8. Will - May 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Right, SHOULD have been a charge. Take a look at the replay from the side and it is OBVIOUS that Richardson pushed out with his forearms to initiate the contact instead of just taking it so the NO charge call was correct.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches