Mikhail Prokhorov video: Nets will win championship within five years

May 18, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT

Mikhail Prokhorov is a confident man.

Also, an insanely rich man. Combine those two and you get a guy that says everything a Nets fan could hope to hear in a low-tech video message to Nets fans just released. Prokhorov promises a truly international team that will make the playoffs next year and win a title within five years.

Apparently he plans on winning the NBA Draft Lottery tonight.

Prokorov may be underestimating how hard it is to win the NBA title (just ask Mark Cuban). Or, maybe I am underestimating Prokorov. But you have to like how straight forward he is.

1. Jonathan - May 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Don’t hold your breath. Not with Stern fixing the playoffs for his beloved Lakers every year.

2. Nick - May 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Jonathan, jealous much?

3. Nick - May 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Jonathan, jealous much?

4. David - May 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

This guy is drinking or smoking something. Better add a “0” behind that “5”. No matter how much money he throws at this I do not see it happening. As stated, Ask Mark Cuban!

5. Evan - May 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Anyone who does not believe that David Stern and the league have an active hand in coordinating the NBA Playoffs/Finals to ensure that and TV and ratings friendly teams/superstars are in the finals has their head buried so deep in the sand they could be starting for the Chinese national team.

6. David - May 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Evan, I have been saying that for years. And its just not Basketball, its all sports. The 3 games differences between a 7-game series and a 4-game series is millions of dollar in the NBA pocket.

7. Shake-Boy - May 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Yeah….you guys are right.
    That lowest rated ever, 4 game, generally considered the worst NBA finals ever, Cleveland / San Antonio finals was pure genious.
    Props to Mr. Stern

8. Jonathan - May 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Stern tried to pass Tim Duncan over as the heir to Jordan’s role which explains San Antonio winning championships. Once he realized that wasn’t working you see what has happened to the Spurs.

9. David - May 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

If you ask me, Stern (NBA) thru Tim Duncan and the Spurs under a bus and never looked back!
    Why is he in the Lakers Back pocket? One, they are winning a few games. Advertisers spend Millions on commercials. I get more for my money with 17Million potential viewers in LA than, say, 2Million in San Antonio?
    Now you may be thinking, why not NY? Well, if either the Nets or Knicks got over 500% winning, I could see the NBA pushing them to a 7-game first series elimation or maybe into the second round.

10. Anonymous - May 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM

It sure is tinfoil hats in these comments. At the very least you people are good for a laugh. That said, the only way the Nets make the playoffs next year is if they get Lebron. No other free agent is going to get them there. And, 5 years? I could see that. They have a lot of young talent, deep pockets, and a proven owner that brings success. The future looks bright for Nets fans.

11. Jonathan - May 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM

You shouldn’t be laughing after you read this:
    Look how long that list is. And it’s only going to get longer unless we get rid of that jerk Stern and bring in a new commissioner who starts caring about the fans and allows more competitive balance instead of pushing the same four franchises over and over. Otherwise the 95 percent of the fans who have no chance of seeing their teams win in their lifetimes should start boycotting the NBA IMMEDIATELY.

12. David - May 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I just thought about something after my last. To prove my point, when is the last time you saw the Washington Caps on CBS, NBC, ABC? Even ESPN for that matter? What about Charlotte? What about New Orleans? Even Memphis for that matter?
    They briefly mention their scores on news channels but you never see them in prime time.

13. retard - May 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM

winners win because they win and that isn’t fair. I hate you daddy….. i hate you. ya’ll stop makin fun of me now

14. retard - May 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM

15. retard - May 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches