May 18, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Phil Jackson isn’t going to talk about it. Kobe Bryant won’t go near it. The Lakers aren’t going to talk about it or wear their Los Lakers jerseys. While there was a small protest outside, inside Staples Center the Arizona Immigration law discussion was dead.
Except for Kobe Bryant’s wife.
Vanessa Bryant is part Hispanic and she wore a shirt that said, “Do I look illegal?” to the game.
The reference was clear.
She — and often the couple’s daughters — are regulars at Lakers games. They tend to stay out of the limelight, as much as that is possible for a high-profile family. But she gets noticed, and used that to make a statement at Game 1 against Arizona.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25