Kobe's wife wears "Do I look illegal" shirt, only one talking immigration

May 18, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT

vanessa_Bryant.jpgPhil Jackson isn’t going to talk about it. Kobe Bryant won’t go near it. The Lakers aren’t going to talk about it or wear their Los Lakers jerseys. While there was a small protest outside, inside Staples Center the Arizona Immigration law discussion was dead.

Except for Kobe Bryant’s wife.

Vanessa Bryant is part Hispanic and she wore a shirt that said, “Do I look illegal?” to the game.

The reference was clear.

She — and often the couple’s daughters — are regulars at Lakers games. They tend to stay out of the limelight, as much as that is possible for a high-profile family. But she gets noticed, and used that to make a statement at Game 1 against Arizona.

213 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Either/Or - May 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM

LOL… i don’t think he’s white!!!!!

2. Anonymous - May 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM

You are such a bitch hater! Go to hell, all Whites are immigrants too! the only ones not are Indian Americans. Ass hole! Learn something in school for god sakes.

3. dn - May 20, 2010 at 9:15 PM

huh… well she looks too old to be a jail bati.

4. Sarge - May 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I don’t know why all the Mexicans are up in arms…I don’t hear them complaining about affirmative action that lets a lesser educated Hispanic have a better shot at getting into a quality university over a Caucasian or Asian…all I hear is complaining about not getting health care when they don’t pay medicare or social security or even income tax. For Christ’s sake if you are ILLEGAL there’s a reason why you don’t get benefits. All the Latinos who are acting like this law is pointed at them…there are other illegal races too! All races are welcome here, but if you’re doing it illegally you don’t deserve to be here. Wait like all the other immigrants who did it legally through the system!

5. Benito - May 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM

I hope that every American, regardless of where he lives, will stop and examine his conscience about this and other related incidents. This Nation was founded by men of many nations and backgrounds. It was founded on the principle that all men are created equal, and that the rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened. All of us ought to have the right to be treated as he would wish to be treated, as one would wish his children to be treated, but this is not the case.
    I know the proponents of this law say that the majority approves of this law, but the majority is not always right. Would women or non-whites have the vote if we listen to the majority of the day, would the non-whites have equal rights (and equal access to churches, housing, restaurants, hotels, retail stores, schools, colleges and yes water fountains) if we listen to the majority of the day? We all know the answer, a resounding, NO!
    Today we are committed to a worldwide struggle to promote and protect the rights of all who wish to be free. In a time of domestic crisis men of good will and generosity should be able to unite regardless of party or politics and do what is right, not what is just popular with the majority. Some men comprehend discrimination by never have experiencing it in their lives, but the majority will only understand after it happens to them.

6. damian - May 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM

the issue isn’t whether or not you support illegal immigration but do you support due process and right against illegal search and seizure. an example: let’s say black folks commit the majority of crime…does it make it ok to pass a law to stop and search and ANY black person on the assumption that they may be a criminal? And does my lack of support for said law mean i support criminality? I don’t think one equals the other.
    i use that example because that is de facto practice in some places…and as a law abiding citizen, i have big issues with being stopped on the assumption made because of my appearance. What does an illegal look like? Is it a disheveled hispanic guy? And can you jump to the conclusion that all disheveled hispanic guys are illegals and thus subject to search? BTW i don’t carry any of my documents that support the fact i was born here. i carry my driver’s license and mil id that’s about it….

7. jose garcia - May 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Why doe everyone respond to the ignorant comments and pay no mind to the valid ones.
    FED UP wrote
    “I am so sick of all this “racial”, “racist” nonsense. Have any of you actually read the bill? http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf
    There you go. Before you go posting comments based on what you saw on the local news or read online, take some time and actually read the bill. If you did you would realize that law enforcement is NOT allowed to sit back and arrest anyone that looks “illegal” as many of you seem to think. However, a crime must be committed first, THEN if the officer has resonable suspicion the person may be there illegally he/she is permitted to request documentation. This could be as simple as a traffic stop. Many of you are correct that there are many other nationalities here in the U.S. illegally. However, they are not a problem in AZ. They have a HUGE issue with “people” comming accross the Mexican boarder carrying drugs and weapons. Notice I said “people” not Mexicans. They happen to be comming across the Mexican boarder and most of them tend to be Mexican, but that is not my point. This bill basically duplicates a federal law that applies in every single state, this one just gives the same power to local authorities that federal law enforcement has had forever. You may or may not agree with what I have said but at least educate yourself and read the bill. Please!!!!”

8. DB - May 21, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Frank you’re an idiot! Kobe Bryant was never even charged with rape! Get your story straight, secondly the charges were dropped as the woman who told the story was going to be shown has a whore as she banged 3 other guys within a 24 hour period! She was pissed cause Kobe banged her and kicked her to the curb! What he did not do to that woman was rape her! And for you to point out something so dastardly, says more about you than it does any of the other parties involved. Grow the F up and get a life!

9. wycowpatty - May 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Do some research on the REAL border issues. Our country has been infiltrated by illegals from dozens of countries. ANYONE can come into this country via Mexico. What do you think will eventually happen as a result? Everyone needs to understand the very real threat to Americans by radical Islamists in particular.
    The other issue not mentioned in these articles is the political game being played. Certain politicians want open borders allowing thousands of people to stream into our cities in order to create a future voting base. They then use all of us as pawns to play out their game. AND they allow the hardworking temp workers and those who stay illegally to work for slave wages in the fields, etc.
    Time to wake up and dig deeper into what is really going on in this country before we lose so many freedoms we’ll never enjoy again. Read your history, and prepare for hard times ahead. It’s coming.

10. john boy - May 22, 2010 at 1:51 AM

U must of had a ruff child hood. U still think he’s a rapist. Wat happen? Need counseling dude.

11. john boy - May 22, 2010 at 1:59 AM

What is your ******** problem racist?

12. Vince - May 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

You’re an idiot frank. Charges were drop cause the girl that you guys say he “raped” has 3 different guys simen in her! 3! she saw a payday and acted on it. If she was raped he would be in jail so shut the hell up! its over

13. Ray Dallou - May 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Here is a government link that shows illegals by Country.
    Facts Please

14. vkrishnan - May 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I have been a legal immigrant for 43 years, and a citizen for. 33 years. Apart from when I come back to the US from abroad, I have not been asked to prove my legal status. Now, if I ever have to go through Arizona, my driver’s license will not be sufficient for some racist sheriff (Arapaio).
    I will boycott any convention or conference in Arizona. There is a very good medical conference in Scottsdale, which I have been attending for twenty years. I have informed the organizers of the conference that I will regetfully not attend any more.
    Ilegal immigration is a genuine problem. It is not restictedto any ethnic background. However,it is extremely unlikely that an Irish or Potugese illegal immigrant is going to be asked for his papers in Arizona. It is far more likely that a legal brown skinned citizen like me will be. That is what happens when you let the bullies and bigots loose. The great majority of police are decent people. The bigots like Arapaoio are the problem, as are the racists backing them.
    I applaud Vanessa Bryant for her public protest. Maybe we should all wear yellow stars on armbands when having to change flights in Phoenix. Hitler made the Jews wear those armbands, and many brave non jews wore those armbands to protest the Nazi racism.

15. wycowpatty - May 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM

‘Now, if I ever have to go through Arizona, my driver’s license will not be sufficient for some racist sheriff (Arapaio).’
    Unless this sheriff or any other law enforcement officer is truly rogue (and I know from experience they do exist – at least in CA), this is simply not true. I can’t imagine why you would assume such a thing. The law has not changed anything not already on the books, it does not require CITIZENS to provide anything other than normal documents such as a photo ID and car registration/insurance, and it states clearly that any officer who violates proper procedure will be fined or worse. Keep in mind that many law enforcement people in AZ are also immigrants themselves or of Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, Native American, or European descent.
    You claim a particular sheriff is being racist while you say the ‘great majority of police are decent people’, and yet you believe ‘it is extremely unlikely that an Irish or Potugese illegal immigrant is going to be asked for his papers in Arizona. It is far more likely that a legal brown skinned citizen like me will be.’ EVERYONE who is legally detained by law enforcement is asked for documents. If you look at the stats, of course the Mexicans will greatly out-number the Irish in Arizona! But that won’t be because some cop is a racist.
    It seems to me that you and many people are taking this issue personally when the fact is, it has nothing to do with you. You are an American citizen. No one is going to require anything special of you. You and law enforcement people are not the problem – people here illegally are! Law enforcement is there to protect you and your property. One aspect of their job is to ascertain the permanent residence of ANYONE in their custody if there has been a violation of the law. This law sends a message to those who are here illegally, and that message is – if you mess up AND you’re here illegally, you’re going to jail or back to your homeland. That’s like patching a hot air balloon with chewing gum, but it’s all we have for now!
    Of course, if the borders were SECURED, you and I would be spending our time enjoying the games instead of reading blogs about dumb stuff like this, wouldn’t we! :)
    Thanks for letting me share my point of view with you. I hope you will reconsider your medical convention trip.
    Check this out –

16. wycowpatty - May 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Check this out –

17. wycowpatty - May 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I knew it was bad, but until recently I had no idea how bad the influx was. It is truly staggering and leaves me feeling violated. The feds are too busy meddling in the affairs of citizens and creating a global government when they should instead be busy protecting us from outside threats that are now pouring into our country like water. Frightening and unconscionable! Thanks for sharing this.

18. Illegals Go Home - May 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM

You keep saying, “she’s laughing all the way to the bank”, and talking about moey. You sound pretty shallow. Life isnt about who has the most money, unless you live a meaningless and shallow life. ‘My Wife Is White’…You are a sad individual. I feel horrible for your white wife. I would never wish to be anyone but myself.

19. illegals Go Home - May 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I really hope that you’re not a real teacher! Mexicans are NOT native americans! Oh my gosh! Some of them may have indian in their background, but all are from Spanish descent, FROM SPAIN (in Europe).

20. Illegals Go Home - May 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM

You’re an idiot Ju Ju. I want ALL illegals to go home! Not just the ones that “look” illegal. Whatever the hell that means. No one should get a free pass! And FYI, Cubans that come to America are considered POLITICAL REFUGEES, NOT illegal immigrants. On a side not, it’s truly sad to see how horribly our school systems are failing us. Just read this entire board and you can see that 90% of the people on here are speaking of which they know nothing about. Ju Ju, you are a perfect example. You should’ve listened when you were in school (assuming you even went to school). What a shame. If there weren’t sooo many illegal immigrants here, our teachers wouldn’t be so overwhelmed with the amount of kids per classroom. Educate yourselves people! It’s not too late.

21. rose cc - May 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM

people stop already. we should all be praying for what is happening around the world. i agree with arizona. But we all need to pray for every thing. God is watching and he is not PleASED.

22. miamivic - May 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM

This protest to the illegal immigration laws has gone far enough. Now we have the City Councils that passed the boycotts having their cities boycotted by those who support the law. Obama has been such a racially divisive figure that I don’t know if the country will ever recover from this. As already advertised 12 other states will be passing similar laws at the end of the year and I do see a scenario where states begin to secede from the United States in order to control their borders and to no longer be responsible for Federal waste.

23. Andrew - May 23, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Wow. Really? This was a story on a sports site, not about politics. Dumb racist idiots.

24. an observer - May 23, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Race has no place here. Illegals (all kinds) pose a security threat, economic burden to our schools and colleges; why cannot we expect all to go by the rules as we would for everything else in life. If we break the law there is a penalty as in driving; pay up and move on…
    I too am an immigrant, just came by the rules; I feel sorry for the illegals but there are rules else society breaks down and we will all suffer;
    we are just too civil a society about everything

25. david - May 23, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Obama isn’t a racially divisive figure it’s the damn racists that’s the problem, and there are a lot of ya’ll on this blog, most of em are people that want to “Take Back Their Country”.
    Guess what you pricks it’s not yours and you know “EXACTLY” who I’m taking to, yeah your ass is the minority and your time is up.
    You try to be nice and they still want to play this “BS” game well guess what,clock is ticking.

1 3 4 5 6 7 9

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches