Kobe's wife wears "Do I look illegal" shirt, only one talking immigration

May 18, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT

vanessa_Bryant.jpgPhil Jackson isn’t going to talk about it. Kobe Bryant won’t go near it. The Lakers aren’t going to talk about it or wear their Los Lakers jerseys. While there was a small protest outside, inside Staples Center the Arizona Immigration law discussion was dead.

Except for Kobe Bryant’s wife.

Vanessa Bryant is part Hispanic and she wore a shirt that said, “Do I look illegal?” to the game.

The reference was clear.

She — and often the couple’s daughters — are regulars at Lakers games. They tend to stay out of the limelight, as much as that is possible for a high-profile family. But she gets noticed, and used that to make a statement at Game 1 against Arizona.

213 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Big E - May 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Every freaking body in this country except the native people of this country are immigrates. All you whites every single one of y’all came from somewhere be for real!!
    The white folks in this country stole, robbed, killed, enslaved, everyone and every thing in this conmutry. Hell the Mexican descent people are merely coming home. Yeah the U.S government stole their lands… Yes I said it deal with it all you racisist pigs!!

2. DVago - May 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM

“It’s pretty clear that there aren’t a whole lot of illegal whites roaming the country.”
    There are millions of illegals here from Canad, Europe, and New Zeland.
    That’s actually part of the point of the whole “Do I look illegal” movement.

3. Anonymous - May 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Claudia, I’m happy that you have everything going for you. Cops now in days use any excuse to stop you, that ” you didn’t make a complete stop, seat belt,ect. Then is can I see your driver lisence, Documents. We have a lot of racism cops and the sad thing is hispanic cops are the worst.

4. um - May 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM

racist

5. deeLo - May 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM

correction- all whites are illegal inhabitants of these lands – the reason that no one says anything about it, is because they are the same illegal pilgrims that made the laws.
    the only people who are not here illegally are the Native Indians & their descendants.

6. CRISSY - May 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM

ITS OBVIOUS THAT THE NATIVE INDIANS WERE HERE FIRST..EVERYBODY JUST GET ALONG!!!! ALL EQUAL RIGHTS !!!! ALL COLORS MAKE THIS UNITED STATES THE LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE, AND BEAUTIFUL TOO!!! GO VANNESSA !!””FREEDOM OF SPEECH SPEAK OUT GIRL!””

7. JAGUAR - May 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM

So, if I’m in Arizona and a cop stops me and he says PAPERS…should I reply “scissors” right away and that mean I win the match? SI SE PUEDE!

8. Ju Ju - May 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM

First of all “illegals” aren’t just Mexican! They are Guatemalan, Chinese, Cuban, Japanese, Salvadoran, Canadian, etc.! If you were educated you would know but CLEARLY you are not! So what about “illegals” that have blonde hair and blue eyes (I know a few)? Should they get a free pass because they “look white”? I am a citizen of the USA, I “look Hispanic”, does that give cops the right to stop me when ever they want?

9. Anonymous - May 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I agree with MO… Illegals come in all colors from all around the world! They are not just Hispanic…. thats very very true!I love in AZ and don’t support this in any way shape or form… I think what she did was amazing! She’s a known person…. PERIOD… why not be a voice for the people if you can… All she did was wear a shirt and still said SOOOO much!

10. Da Real - May 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I bet she would change her shirt/opinion for a 4 million dollar diamond ring.

11. FED UP - May 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I am so sick of all this “racial”, “racist” nonsense. Have any of you actually read the bill? http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf
    There you go. Before you go posting comments based on what you saw on the local news or read online, take some time and actually read the bill. If you did you would realize that law enforcement is NOT allowed to sit back and arrest anyone that looks “illegal” as many of you seem to think. However, a crime must be committed first, THEN if the officer has resonable suspicion the person may be there illegally he/she is permitted to request documentation. This could be as simple as a traffic stop. Many of you are correct that there are many other nationalities here in the U.S. illegally. However, they are not a problem in AZ. They have a HUGE issue with “people” comming accross the Mexican boarder carrying drugs and weapons. Notice I said “people” not Mexicans. They happen to be comming across the Mexican boarder and most of them tend to be Mexican, but that is not my point. This bill basically duplicates a federal law that applies in every single state, this one just gives the same power to local authorities that federal law enforcement has had forever. You may or may not agree with what I have said but at least educate yourself and read the bill. Please!!!!

12. Chicana - May 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Vanessa you go girl!!! For all you latino haters, you wouldn’t have a working America if it weren’t for latinos and ILLEGALS!!! They do all the dirty work the WHITE MAN wouldn’t dare do!!!!!

13. Juan Chavez - May 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Chicana,
    Please shut up!!! You are a disgrace to all Latinas/Latinos. It’s comments like that that give us stereotypes.
    Disgusting

14. AZ Lady - May 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

How about this. All of you legal immigrants, why don’t you sponsor an “illegal” immigrant? Also teach their children English so we don’t have to spend so much money in printing everything in English/Spanish? Maybe even pay for their hospital bills so hospitals on the border don’t go bankrupt? If the “illegals” can’t pull their own weight, they should have a sponsor.

15. To Juan Chavez - May 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM

It sucks when people like you don’t stand up for your own! Don’t be ashamed or in denial to be who you are! After all I’m sure you have an illegal family member in the states.

16. i agree - May 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Instead of doing what Arizona is doing, why doesn’t the goverment just cut all assistance to illegals and all lazy people that do not deserve it. I am a Mexican/American I work my ass off and I do not depend on goverment assistance and it pisses me off knowing I have to support people on welfare, but there are illegal immigrants that are really here to work and not to abuse the system.

17. Alejandra - May 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM

what an ignorant bitch! Look back at your family tree whore! I’m sure someone came here illegaly? Plus, since when is all humanity divided between Mexican and White?!?!?!? Dumbass!!!

18. AZ Lady - May 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Calling people names don’t solve problems. Respect is one of the keys to solving all problems. Let’s think outside of the “norms” to solve this problem. If Arizona doesn’t solve it, it will be in your neighborhood sooner than you think.

19. Smoke - May 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM

How about the entire Democratic Party? Hard working but unable to pay their own bills, to include every illegal here whether latino or not.

20. JOhn - May 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I say remove AZ law and let them be. But create new law to do a deep verification check for any government aid (welfare,sec, food stamps) and deny any free medical services unless citizenship is proven. Also jail time for any employer convicted or hiring illegal workers and no anchor babies.

21. JOhn - May 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

22. JOhn - May 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM

23. Daniel - May 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM

comment from Frank
    I bet she would change her shirt/opinion for a 4 million dollar diamond ring
    Frank, I bet you would do anything for 4 million, forget 4, 1 million. GOT ….

24. Daniel - May 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM

comment from Frank
    I bet she would change her shirt/opinion for a 4 million dollar diamond ring
    Frank, I bet you would do anything for 4 million, forget 4, 1 million. GOT ….

25. Daniel - May 20, 2010 at 1:50 PM

…. you too.You KKK.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches