Kobe's wife wears "Do I look illegal" shirt, only one talking immigration

May 18, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT

vanessa_Bryant.jpgPhil Jackson isn’t going to talk about it. Kobe Bryant won’t go near it. The Lakers aren’t going to talk about it or wear their Los Lakers jerseys. While there was a small protest outside, inside Staples Center the Arizona Immigration law discussion was dead.

Except for Kobe Bryant’s wife.

Vanessa Bryant is part Hispanic and she wore a shirt that said, “Do I look illegal?” to the game.

The reference was clear.

She — and often the couple’s daughters — are regulars at Lakers games. They tend to stay out of the limelight, as much as that is possible for a high-profile family. But she gets noticed, and used that to make a statement at Game 1 against Arizona.

213 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Nic - May 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Get your facts straight. The only thing Kobe ever raped was countless opponents on the basketball court.

2. Tony - May 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM

you should wear a shirt that says “I’m an idiot”.

3. Tony - May 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM

you should wear a shirt that says “I’m an idiot”.

4. Klaudia - May 18, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Can you say GOLD DIGGER! There is no denying she has Latina in her, since she stayed with her man after having sex with another woman. Scared to be on her own and raise her children as a proud woman. Instead, she teaches her children that $$$ talks, and says, “It’s okay to forgive your man after he cheats on you, but make sure he gets you a BIG rock, like the one mommy has, especially if you have no other sources..ie..education to support yourself.” Speaking of racist, go to Mexico and see how many Americans get stopped by the Mexican officials and ask for bribes? Why do they ONLY always stop AMERICANS or people driving vehicles with AMERICAN plates. They are racist in Mexico? People ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL. There is a difference btwn civil and human rights, and their human rights have not been violated and they don’t have civil rights. So, Vanessa, next time wear a shirt that says, “GOLD DIGGER”. People if you don’t know the law don’t act like you do. ILLEGAL MEANS ILLEGAL IN ANY COUNTRY. VANESSA, let’s throw you in MEXICO see if they don’t ask you for papers, darling.

5. Klaudia - May 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I agree with you, Tony. If you don’t know then stay out of it.

6. Too much vitriol - May 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Apparently all of your “education” (if you have any) plays no role in your ability to have a civilized argument without foul language. Whether it was your parents or grandparents who left Cuba to protect their assets from Castro or to escape a dismal economic situation, they would also be illegal if it weren’t for the preferential treatment in immigration law that Cuban immigrants receive. So you my friend are not in a position to make an impartial statement on the issue of immigration. Let’s move on and leave the foul language out of these conversations. There’s enough hate to go around already.

7. Anonymous - May 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM

What do you know about us Latinas nothing.We are not gold diggers like other races including yours.Race doesn’t make you a gold digger.Yes illegal means illegal but I don’t see you working in the fields.They are herr to work jobs that nobody wants to work.They give green card to Middle Easterners and than they try to blow up America least my people don’t betray America.

8. Daniel - May 18, 2010 at 6:00 PM

You’re just jealous, Vanessa doesn’t need to work. She is set for the rest of her life. With or without Kobe. Don’t hate. If you are not happy with your husband, boyfriend, find someone that can give you everything you want.
    You’re right about Mexico, they do stop car with US plates. The only difference is that they go for the plates not the color of your skin. I’ve been in TJ and I’ve been stop by mexican cops and yes all they want is a bribes. So Klaudia or is it CLAUDIA! Stop it with the ”GOLD DIGGER” once again, be happy with what you have….

9. Fontano - May 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM

“Not all illegals are mexicans,there are so many asians that are illegals,canadiens,europeans,south and central americans.”
    NOT ALL, but about 99%…

10. Coast 2 Coast - May 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Its not easy to stand up for what you believe in. Good Job. Most haters have nothing to say but jokes because they have nothing to really fight for. If you did you would think of others instead of yourself. You dont have to be latin to see how this law is wrong.

11. Nick Black - May 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Actually the majority of the people in this country illegally are from Europe (read: white) the reason they aren’t targeted by laws like this, racism. Pure and simple.

12. Dee - May 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM

We LOVE YOU VANESSA!
    You are a PROUD Latina standing up for your Beliefs!!
    You Go Girl!

13. Anonymous - May 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM

CB

14. Klaudia - May 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Actually I did work the fields. My father was born in America and so where his parents (my grandparents), my mom is from Mexico. I am proud to say that I do know about the race, Mexican/Hispanic/Latina or whatever you or America chooses to call it. It is sad that most women of the Latina descent are submissive and deal with whatever their man puts them through. I used to translate for the people that would come from Nuevo Leon to work the fields, and I even joined them as well. Yes, that work is hard, but as anyone no matter what RACE you are you always want to better yourself. I made the decision to educate myself, graduated at 16 yrs old and can speak 5 languages. Worked for the Federal Govt and now stay home with 4 of my beautiful children and raising 4 more kids from other LATINAS that don’t have their STUFF straight in life. My daughter is 16 and attending college on a scholarship, fully paid, as well. My 11 year old has written and published her 1st book, and I am sure that the rest of my children will be as fortunate as us. My husband works for the Government too. Maybe protesters should help all ILLEGALS go to their Countries and protest for a better life in their COUNTRY. I’m sorry, but you should be more open minded about this situation as it hurts both parties, AMERICANS as well as ILLEGALS. I don’t see you protesting about the PATRIOT ACT, where you have to provide an ID for everything, and funny that you consider all people from Middle East as “bombers” or wanting to blow up AMERICA, and you don’t consider yourself RACIST! Your people is what of Latin descent, that bring in drugs, and kill people that are pregnant, and rape children too, etc…Understand there doesn’t need to be a specific RACE to do bad to people or your COUNTRY. ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL and you can not go to any COUNTRY without carrying your documents. ILLEGAL is not a RACE. Why don’t people stop playing the RACE card, and understand AMERICANS need to abide by laws anywhere we go so why can’t they. READ the LAW.

15. danielle - May 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM

oh yea, you tell it how it is. Thats the damn truth

16. Klaudia - May 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM

No, it is Klaudia with a “K”. Sorry Daniel. Actually, I am very happy with my life and my family, and that I don’t have to work, either. I am happy of my heritage, and culture, but ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL. Vanessa is what she is. I do agree that she doesn’t want the ILLEGALS to go away, because where would not be able to hire help anymore and treat them like “crap” like the way she did, previously. Daniel, I hope you go back to TJ and please do not take any documents, and let’s see what happens. On another note, if you would to read the law, playing the race card, gets old. Very old. Ignorance is bliss.

17. Mexican English Teacher - May 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Ratchet,
    Unless you are Native American (which Mexicans are) then you are illegal as well. Last I checked, my ancestors did not allow you through our borders. If we go check on a reservation, I’m sure your name isn’t on some special book which allowed you the right to come to our lands.

18. MichaelMarie - May 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Hope you have some immigration papers because you’re gonna have to show them. I’ve come across at least 3 case of AMERICAN BORN CITIZENS being hauled into the police station for being BROWN. They had their drivers licenses on them. It wasn’t good enough.

19. Do your research - May 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM

First of all, This argument is ignorant. Bottom line is you want to blame anyone for illegals then go back in history and see how long we have been fighting immigration issues, and stop blaming Obama for all our problems in the US. She is right, You cant tell if someone is illegal just by looking at them. While everyone is complaining about illegal immigrants from Mexico think about this. While you are sitting here complaing border control is still hiring put in your application and do something about it. Or shut the hell up!!!! Sincerely, bi-racial US CITIZEN!!!!

20. MichaelMarie - May 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM

No, she’s using her status to PROTECT AMERICAN RIGHTS! There is NO LAW that says an American citizen HAS to CARRY ID! 1/3 of Arizona is LATINO and LEGAL!

21. NikFlorida - May 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM

See, that’s just the thing. It isn’t clear at all, because they don’t LOOK different. The illegals I know are from (1) Canada, (2) England, and (3) Grenada. I don’t actually know any Mexican illegals, although I do know a Cuban one.
    My friend Talya lives in Michigan, and she tells me that Detroit is FULL of Canadian illegals. But since they’re Caucasion, and mostly of French and German ethnic heritage, they’re not nearly so easy to ‘spot.’ So no, you can’t recognize them by their shoes.

22. MichaelMarie - May 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM

What? There is NO LAW that states that an AMERICAN CITIZEN has to carry papers. If you believe you know of one, please post a link.

23. nikFlorida - May 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I keep seeing comments that refer to Ms. Bryant’s t-shirt “in support of illegal immigration.” No it’s not– it’s in opposition to profiling and stereotyping. I personally think it would be interesting to relocate the entire population of Puerto Rico (many of whom are not just US Citizens, but Natural-Born ones) to Arizona and see how badly they are harassed. I’m pretty sure that if you’re an illegal immigrant from, say, South Africa (I know one of those) and you get ticketed for having your car up on blocks in your front yard, there’s not “reasonable suspicion” that you’re an illegal immigrant.
    So Ms. Bryant’s shirt doesn’t in any way “support illegal immigration” any more than a teacher’s opposition to SB6 in Florida means s/he opposes accountability.
    http://nikflorida.org. Where we don’t tell you WHAT to think, just to think.

24. Ignorane is bliss - May 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM

what an idiot. Comparisons are nothing alike. That shows how smart you are. What a shame you are latino. Don’t embarass the rest of the latino community by saying you are one of us.

25. riscifiguy - May 19, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Not all illegal’s are Mexican. People entering from Mexico may be Mexican, Guatemalan, Cuban, or originally from any number of Spanish speaking countries. Mexico has been trying to stop the northern flow of people at it’s own southern border. Additionally, there are huge numbers of Asians still entering the country illegally, including south Asian guest workers overstaying their work visas (which have a worse impact on US jobs then the illegal’s do) who then are disappearing into the urban landscape (maybe INS should raid a few 7-11’s). Additionally, we do have many white illegal aliens. Organized crime is taking on a distinctly eastern European aspect displacing the old Italian Mafia with ruthless violence and advanced technologies.
    We cannot consider only what we see when we look out our own windows. As for our southern border, we see some things more clearly than others. We see individuals looking for work opportunities, families seeking safety from drug related violence, and organized crime members seeking to facilitate the expansion of drug empires. In return the US sends guns and drug money south to Mexico.
    Using US guns and money, the drug empires are the source of the violence and the cause of much of the movement of people. The US and Mexico need to work more closely together to address the drug empires. At present the situation in northern Mexico is equally likely to go one of three ways: 1. We can work with the Mexican government to cut the drug traffic and destroy the drug gangs; 2. Things continue the way they are indefinitely as the quality of life in both countries continues to deteriorate; 3. Northern Mexico turns into Somalia and we have to send troops to invade it.
    We need to first cooperate with Mexico to solve the drug problem and restore safety, then prosperity and jobs will return to northern Mexico and the movements of people will normalize to a manageable level of enforcement. Sorry, but there no simple solutions to complex problems. Anyone who says that there is, is a liar or a fool.

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches