May 17, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT
Free agent talk around the Bulls seems to be focusing on some other guy. Can’t quite recall his name. Pretty good player though, as I remember.
But the Joe Johnson is a free agent this summer and while the Atlanta Hawks want him back, he may just fly the coop.
All the way to Chicago, if what the Chicago Tribune is reporting. It is reporting that there is a “strong buzz” that Johnson would like to play for the Bulls. And that his agent — Arn Tellum — and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf are tight. Therefore….
The theory goes that if the LeBron is leaving Cleveland they will want to do a sign-and-trade to get something back (plus LeBron wants that extra $30 million the Cavs can pay him). Part of that trade would be Luol Deng, and with Deng gone the Bulls could bring in another free agent, albeit one worth a couple million less than a max deal.
Enter Joe Johnson. He has the shooting to space the floor for the slashing Derrick Rose and, theoretically, James.
Johnson would be a good fit for the Bulls whether or not LeBron is there. The only question is how much he gets paid and for how long — he will be 29 next season and teams could come to regret a five-year contract.
But if you can be sure of one thing this summer, it is that someone will overpay for Johnson.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18