May 17, 2010, 9:35 AM EST
Let’s be perfectly clear — the Jazz are going to try and bring back Carlos Boozer. And not in some half-assed way. That’s not how the Jazz and the Miller family do business, this is a professional organization. They will make what they think is a fair offer.
But if Boozer goes, that would not be the end of the world? Not if you heard what Greg Miller (part of that team-owning Miller family) said when talking to the Salt Lake Tribune.
“In my opinion, Paul (Millsap) played his best basketball when he was the guy, when Carlos was out,” Miller said. “And so it’s exciting for me to think about what we’d get out of Millsap if he knew he was going to play that key role for us. We’ll just have to wait and see if that happens.”
Obviously, the way in which Millsap plays that “key role” as a starter next season is if Boozer heads to another team this summer.
Miller also said not to exaggerate the significance of his March meeting with Boozer’s agent, Rob Pelinka, saying that “not much of any substantial conversation took place.”
That sounds a lot like a team preparing for the next step.
Boozer — a free agent as of July 1 — is going to draw interest from teams like Miami, teams that need a big man inside. The Jazz could use him there, too — something the Lakers exposed and exploited n the playoffs.
But the Jazz always have Millsap.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 1
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)