May 15, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Some people think the estimated impact of LeBron James’ free agency is overblown. After all, it’s just one guy, with no rings, switching teams like free agents often do.
But there are are further implications, including economic impacts.
The Media Daily News outlines the impact on MSG’s stock if James were to elect to don the Knicks’ colors in July. The report from a Wall Street researcher showcases the possible stock jump in such a scenario. The financial bump would impact not only MSG as an arena, but all assets from marketing to television and offset ROI costs fro the arena rebuild project.
This may seem pretty intuitive, and the impact would be the same if James were to jump to another team. But it’s the degree of shift, magnified by the assets in question that make this notable. A major media entity would see a significant financial upturn if James switches zipcodes.
And that leverage alone has to boost James’ ego, which could probably use it after the last seven days.
Also notable? James’ yearly salary under a max contract would exceed both the CEO of MSG Hank Ratner and executive chairman James Dolan’s salary and bonuses.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59