May 15, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Some people think the estimated impact of LeBron James’ free agency is overblown. After all, it’s just one guy, with no rings, switching teams like free agents often do.
But there are are further implications, including economic impacts.
The Media Daily News outlines the impact on MSG’s stock if James were to elect to don the Knicks’ colors in July. The report from a Wall Street researcher showcases the possible stock jump in such a scenario. The financial bump would impact not only MSG as an arena, but all assets from marketing to television and offset ROI costs fro the arena rebuild project.
This may seem pretty intuitive, and the impact would be the same if James were to jump to another team. But it’s the degree of shift, magnified by the assets in question that make this notable. A major media entity would see a significant financial upturn if James switches zipcodes.
And that leverage alone has to boost James’ ego, which could probably use it after the last seven days.
Also notable? James’ yearly salary under a max contract would exceed both the CEO of MSG Hank Ratner and executive chairman James Dolan’s salary and bonuses.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 1
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 7
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 35
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars