May 14, 2010, 12:53 PM EDT
When the owners submitted their first proposal of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement to the Players Association at the All-Star Game, it was just dismissed out of hand.
The owners went big — asking for basically a hard cap, shorter contract lengths with less money guaranteed, and a request to cut the players share of Basketball Related Income back to 40 percent (it was at 57 percent the last couple seasons).
The players laughed and said they would submit their own base proposal to start with, and union Executive Director Billy Hunter told Sports Illustrated that will come next month.
NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter said on Thursday that the union is in the process of engineering a proposal for a new collective bargaining agreement and will submit it to the league before the end of June.
“We are demonstrating an open-ended willingness and desire to get a deal done instead of just talking about it,” Hunter told SI.com. “This is about good will. Our timing will give the owners the entire summer to review what it is we are proposing and decide what they want to do next.”
We don’t know what will be in that proposal, but you can bet it will be closer to the current CBA than what the owners offered.
But one it is out there then the two can sit down and start talking. Or not. Which should be the bigger concern. The owners have been hit hard by the economy and they are using this CBA to make a stand.
It’s hard not to be pessimistic and think that a lockout will stop basketball at the start of the 2011-12 season.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 6
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 35
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22