May 14, 2010, 11:33 PM EDT
Is it really a big Lakers playoff series if Phil Jackson doesn’t take a stab at an opposing city or player?
Nope. So I guess we have a series. After Lakers practice Friday Phil Jackson was asked if it was hard to simulate in practice what Steve Nash does in a game. We have his answer:
“Yeah, because you can’t carry the ball like he does in practice,” Jackson said, smiling as he moved his arm and turned over his palm, the symbol for an illegal carry in the unofficial sign language of basketball. “You can’t pick that ball up and run with it.”
If there is one thing Jackson loves more than Montana or tweaking David Stern, it’s trying to manipulate referees through the media. He does it a lot.
Probably not going to get this one, though. Don’t expect Steve Nash to be hit with a bunch of carrying calls come Monday night.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 21
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 13
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 28