May 14, 2010, 7:09 PM EDT
Cleveland’s season may be over, but speculation about LeBron James’ elbow is far from done. Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry spoke about the elbow today, actually delivering some new information about the injury.
According to Ferry, LeBron’s elbow first started bothering him before an April 8 game against the Chicago Bulls, causing the team to sit him for that game and the four remaining games of the regular season. Ferry does not believe the elbow will require surgery. He also said that James was told that playing could not aggravate the injury.
For me, this means talk about the elbow should stop to some degree. LeBron had a great series against the Bulls, and shot the ball from outside as well as I’ve ever seen him do over an extended period of time. You don’t drain a 50-foot jumper if your elbow isn’t working. Maybe it was causing him discomfort, but he was clearly capable of dominating while in discomfort. It’s true that LeBron did struggle with his outside shot at times in the Boston series. It’s also true that every player in the NBA struggles with their outside shot at times, and LeBron’s jumper has never been his greatest strength. Ray Allen went 2-8 from the field on Thursday and 0-5 from beyond the arc; when’s his MRI?
Maybe the elbow injury was more serious than he was letting on. But throughout the Boston series, it seemed like losing was what aggravated the injury more than anything else. LeBron hasn’t been using the elbow as an excuse, and fans shouldn’t either. Until real information about the severity of the injury comes out, it’s probably best to focus on what happened on the court in the Boston series rather than inside LeBron’s elbow.
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 8
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 9
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 34
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (95)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay