May 14, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT
Mikhail Prokhorov wants to make an entrance.
The new New Jersey Nets owner will as the tallest representative at the draft lottery next Tuesday (well, unless the Clippers decide to send Chris Kaman, which has the potential for high comedy, so I hope they do).
But he also reportedly wants to make a coaching splash too, with a big hire that brings some legitimacy to a franchise that last season had to work hard to avoid a league record for futility. The Bergen Record reports that may not be so easy.
An NBA source still believes they will give a call to Mike Krzyzewski, although all indications are he’s not interested in coaching them. People in the Nets organization don’t believe they have much of a chance at Krzyzewski, but the source said once Mikhail Prokhorov comes in and gets his feet wet there could be a sales pitch made.
It’s a tough situation because Krzyzewski doesn’t seem interested and (Jeff) Van Gundy, by all accounts, seems set on staying in television. (Avery) Johnson, from everything I’ve heard and read, is the frontrunner to coach the Hornets.
After those three, the name value of the coaches out there drops off considerably.
One thing that could shake out a few bigger names — the Nets winning the lottery and getting the draft rights to John Wall. For that, Prokhorov needs to bring good luck with all that money.
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 19
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 18