May 14, 2010, 11:51 AM EDT
The Golden State Warriors’ — remember them? — myriad injuries this season may have been the central mechanism for the D-League’s incredible success in ’09-’10, but they also denied us the privilege of watching a few interesting players do their thing. Kelenna Azubuike is one of those guys.
‘Buike may not be incredibly dynamic, tremendously talented, or loaded with potential, but he’s a terrific open-court player and he probably would have been useful on those nights where Golden State suited up six or seven players. Kelenna went down in the ninth game of the season (on the night of Brandon Jennings’ double-nickel against the Warriors, coincidentally), and never returned for the Dubs.
Kelenna already had one season-ending surgery in November to repair his torn patella tendon, and he underwent another arthroscopic procedure late this week to address his lingering patella tendinitis. Though Azubuike may be limited in the off-season, the injury shouldn’t last through the summer. The Warriors may actually be able to field a full team of players next season with guys like ‘Buike on the mend, which should translate to guys like Monta Ellis and Steph Curry playing less than 48 minutes a night.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 0
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 9
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 17
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record