May 13, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
This is a dramatic upgrade?
The Bulls are about to start interviewing coaching candidates to replace fightin’ Vinny Del Negro, to bring in that name that was going to attract free agents and get the team more focused and professional.
Lawrence Frank and Mo Cheeks are your frontrunners, according to the Daily Herald.
Is that a dramatic upgrade? Frank certainly brings a much higher level of organization and detail orientation to the job. Mo Cheeks has been a solid coach who got a lot out of his players. But are those really “wow” coaches that were a big improvement over what Del Negro got out of the team.
Doug Collins is right out, according to the Chicago Tribune. Already been down that road. John Calipari is a big name but there are questions ranging from how serious he is about all this to if he is really set out to be an NBA coach, where his amazing recruiting prowess does little good.
Other names may shake out. Maybe the Bulls organization will be happy with just a change of personality. But I keep waiting to say, “now that’s a good get” when it comes to a Bulls coaching prospect.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 8
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 5
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10