May 13, 2010, 4:12 PM EST
This is a dramatic upgrade?
The Bulls are about to start interviewing coaching candidates to replace fightin’ Vinny Del Negro, to bring in that name that was going to attract free agents and get the team more focused and professional.
Lawrence Frank and Mo Cheeks are your frontrunners, according to the Daily Herald.
Is that a dramatic upgrade? Frank certainly brings a much higher level of organization and detail orientation to the job. Mo Cheeks has been a solid coach who got a lot out of his players. But are those really “wow” coaches that were a big improvement over what Del Negro got out of the team.
Doug Collins is right out, according to the Chicago Tribune. Already been down that road. John Calipari is a big name but there are questions ranging from how serious he is about all this to if he is really set out to be an NBA coach, where his amazing recruiting prowess does little good.
Other names may shake out. Maybe the Bulls organization will be happy with just a change of personality. But I keep waiting to say, “now that’s a good get” when it comes to a Bulls coaching prospect.
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 6
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5