May 13, 2010, 9:29 AM EDT
The Philadelphia coaching search has settled in on Doug Collins as the leading candidate — another recycled coach rather than a team giving a top assistant a shot.
The two sides have talked almost every other day since their May 1 meeting, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. While Sixers General Manager Ed Stefanski has interviewed five other candidates since he met with Collins, that first interview and subsequent talks have pushed Collins to the forefront, the report says.
Collins is currently and analyst for TNT, but before that he was the coach before Phil Jackson in Chicago and also had stints with Pistons and Wizards. And he’s a good coach and a solid choice. But teams seem to be focused on finding guys with NBA head coaching experience — meaning they were fired from somewhere at least once — rather than giving a new guy a shot. Just part of the risk averse NBA management style.
The biggest uncertainty in all of this may be Stefanski himself, whose job is considered to be in jeopardy. That said, the owners have let him continue on with the coaching search, a sign they may not be looking to make a change.
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 28
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 14
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay