May 13, 2010, 12:07 AM EST
It’s been a day of amateur phycologists coming up with theories on why LeBron James was not aggressive in game five, why he had an off shooting night. Fear, mental weakness, maybe planning his escape out of town — there are a host of guesses out there.
But maybe most logical answer remains physical.
Maybe his elbow is bothering him a lot more than he has let on. He has said “no excuses” and this was just something he had to play through. But his comment today, as reported in the New York Times, hinted it was more serious.
James has repeatedly dismissed concerns about his elbow, although it is his only known physical ailment. On Wednesday, he said it was “an issue I’ll deal with in the off-season” — the first time he has framed it in such terms.
Yet James showed no discomfort during a shooting contest with teammates, flinging 3-pointers with ease. When he missed, James would profanely chastise himself. With reporters standing within earshot, he also made light of his injury.
The blog Fear The Sword that he has a torn ligament in his elbow, something they are reporting from a source. Who knows?
But LeBron James has had big playoff games, he has hit game-winning shots, he has shown mental toughness in recent years. He did not last night.
And maybe the most logical explanation of that is physical, not mental.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11