May 12, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
Maybe he’s gone anyway. Who knows? If LeBron James has done one thing well it’s create an air of mystery and suspense around his off-season decision.
Through it all, the conventional wisdom has been that if the Cleveland Cavaliers win the NBA title this year, he stays. However, if the Cavs melted down much earlier than suspected, all bets were off.
“We need LeBron,” Lee told the Daily News before Game 5 in the series Tuesday night.
“I think there’s a better chance of LeBron ending up in the orange and blue the sooner [the Cavaliers] are kicked out of the playoffs.
“The sooner the Cavs leave, the better the chance that LeBron will be in New York.”
New Yorkers are doing their part. Carnegie Deli has created two sandwiches in his honor. New York’s tabloid newspapers — which will stalk his every step if he does become a Knick — have had writers pen love letters to the man. Even Scores — the strip club made famous by Howard Stern’s on-air infatuation — has promised LeBron free lap dances for life if he moves to town.
On the court in game five, LeBron did not look like a man motivated by his circumstances. But who knows. It’s all part of that mystery.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 16
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 18
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4