May 12, 2010, 9:16 AM EST
Maybe he’s gone anyway. Who knows? If LeBron James has done one thing well it’s create an air of mystery and suspense around his off-season decision.
Through it all, the conventional wisdom has been that if the Cleveland Cavaliers win the NBA title this year, he stays. However, if the Cavs melted down much earlier than suspected, all bets were off.
“We need LeBron,” Lee told the Daily News before Game 5 in the series Tuesday night.
“I think there’s a better chance of LeBron ending up in the orange and blue the sooner [the Cavaliers] are kicked out of the playoffs.
“The sooner the Cavs leave, the better the chance that LeBron will be in New York.”
New Yorkers are doing their part. Carnegie Deli has created two sandwiches in his honor. New York’s tabloid newspapers — which will stalk his every step if he does become a Knick — have had writers pen love letters to the man. Even Scores — the strip club made famous by Howard Stern’s on-air infatuation — has promised LeBron free lap dances for life if he moves to town.
On the court in game five, LeBron did not look like a man motivated by his circumstances. But who knows. It’s all part of that mystery.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 32
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8