May 12, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
Maybe he’s gone anyway. Who knows? If LeBron James has done one thing well it’s create an air of mystery and suspense around his off-season decision.
Through it all, the conventional wisdom has been that if the Cleveland Cavaliers win the NBA title this year, he stays. However, if the Cavs melted down much earlier than suspected, all bets were off.
“We need LeBron,” Lee told the Daily News before Game 5 in the series Tuesday night.
“I think there’s a better chance of LeBron ending up in the orange and blue the sooner [the Cavaliers] are kicked out of the playoffs.
“The sooner the Cavs leave, the better the chance that LeBron will be in New York.”
New Yorkers are doing their part. Carnegie Deli has created two sandwiches in his honor. New York’s tabloid newspapers — which will stalk his every step if he does become a Knick — have had writers pen love letters to the man. Even Scores — the strip club made famous by Howard Stern’s on-air infatuation — has promised LeBron free lap dances for life if he moves to town.
On the court in game five, LeBron did not look like a man motivated by his circumstances. But who knows. It’s all part of that mystery.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2