May 12, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
Maybe he’s gone anyway. Who knows? If LeBron James has done one thing well it’s create an air of mystery and suspense around his off-season decision.
Through it all, the conventional wisdom has been that if the Cleveland Cavaliers win the NBA title this year, he stays. However, if the Cavs melted down much earlier than suspected, all bets were off.
“We need LeBron,” Lee told the Daily News before Game 5 in the series Tuesday night.
“I think there’s a better chance of LeBron ending up in the orange and blue the sooner [the Cavaliers] are kicked out of the playoffs.
“The sooner the Cavs leave, the better the chance that LeBron will be in New York.”
New Yorkers are doing their part. Carnegie Deli has created two sandwiches in his honor. New York’s tabloid newspapers — which will stalk his every step if he does become a Knick — have had writers pen love letters to the man. Even Scores — the strip club made famous by Howard Stern’s on-air infatuation — has promised LeBron free lap dances for life if he moves to town.
On the court in game five, LeBron did not look like a man motivated by his circumstances. But who knows. It’s all part of that mystery.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10