May 12, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
Maybe he’s gone anyway. Who knows? If LeBron James has done one thing well it’s create an air of mystery and suspense around his off-season decision.
Through it all, the conventional wisdom has been that if the Cleveland Cavaliers win the NBA title this year, he stays. However, if the Cavs melted down much earlier than suspected, all bets were off.
“We need LeBron,” Lee told the Daily News before Game 5 in the series Tuesday night.
“I think there’s a better chance of LeBron ending up in the orange and blue the sooner [the Cavaliers] are kicked out of the playoffs.
“The sooner the Cavs leave, the better the chance that LeBron will be in New York.”
New Yorkers are doing their part. Carnegie Deli has created two sandwiches in his honor. New York’s tabloid newspapers — which will stalk his every step if he does become a Knick — have had writers pen love letters to the man. Even Scores — the strip club made famous by Howard Stern’s on-air infatuation — has promised LeBron free lap dances for life if he moves to town.
On the court in game five, LeBron did not look like a man motivated by his circumstances. But who knows. It’s all part of that mystery.
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 2
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 2
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23