May 12, 2010, 12:27 PM EDT
RC Buford says he wants to keep Tony Parker in San Antonio. He should — elite point guards at the peak of their game are hard to find.
But if San Antonio can’t convince Tiago Splitter to come to the states from Europe, the Spurs will have to consider trading Parker, they don’t have other good options to make key roster changes. And the playoffs showed they need to make some changes.
Enter the New York Knicks, who might be interested in Parker, according to the Daily News.
With Donnie Walsh in the market for a point guard, there are reports that San Antonio would consider trading Tony Parker, who lost his starting job to (George) Hill and has told close friends he and his actress wife, Eva Longoria, would love to relocate to New York.
“Pop loves George and I could see a scenario where he would trade Tony,” said a Spurs source, referring to San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. “Tony will be looking for a max deal and New York may pay him.”
The Spurs, who want front line help, would likely want David Lee back in a sign-and-trade. There would need to be other parts to make it work, and it’s unlikely that the Knicks would give Parker a max deal.
All that is to say, this is not likely at all. Still, there are going to be suggested trades that are much worse fits that will be discussed and made this summer.
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 0
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 35
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 79
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 19
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48