May 12, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
For the record, Larry Brown is still the coach of the Charlotte Bobcats.
Felt the need to mention that, because his name comes up in seemingly every coaching search. There’s also rumors of him in the front office in Philadelphia. So far, there has been no action. Just Brown spending time with his family, according to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
“I said after the season that I was going to visit with my family and figure out what direction I wanted to go in,” he said. “I’ve got a 15-year-old son, a daughter who’s 13. They’re in Philly and I’m in Charlotte and it’s been tough being away from them. I miss them, and I don’t want them to grow up not having me.”
When asked specifically about the reported possibility of his joining the Sixers as team president, coach or perhaps even both, the game’s most notorious nomad said he has had no contact with the team.
“I haven’t talked to anybody,” Brown said. “The only person I talked to is (Bobcats owner) Michael (Jordan). I basically told him what I told you. I love my job. I love working for him. But I’m just having a real difficult time being away from my family. … I’m going to sit down with (his wife) Shelly, to talk to her and my family.”
So, he’s the coach of the Bobcats unless a better offer comes along. Or, maybe this is the one time in history someone does leave a job to spend more time with his family, rather than just using that as the cover story.
But probably not. Coaches have it in their blood. After the season they need to decompress for a while, but come about August and September that itch to get back on the court, to coach, becomes like a migration instinct. Right now, Brown is decompressing, spending time with his family. As he should. But come the fall, you can bet he wants to get back on the court somewhere.
Where? I doubt even Brown knows that right now.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?